Flip phone sales are surging as folks seek connection without distraction

Funny.

Not a problem for me as I only use my iPhone phone as needed and don’t feel compelled to constantly check stuff or text while driving. My watch will ping me with anything important and that only needs a quick glance.

For browsing reading and emails I generally use my iPad, and not when socializing with others.

Last edited:
^^^ Same here. My iPhone is extremely useful, but I’ve never had an issue with overuse. I keep it nearby and usually respond promptly when it squawks, but I don’t fixate on it at all.

My iPhone is an internet device more than anything so a flip phone would be useless for me. I text often but I use it for phone calls as little as possible, I ignore all incoming calls unless it’s a known contact.

I do know people who are constantly on their smartphones, needlessly more often than not I suspect. Some of the guys I play golf with are checking their phone constantly (not a golf app). Mine goes in my bag and I can’t remember ever looking at it during a round.

Last edited:
Funny.

Not a problem for me as I only use my iPhone phone as needed and don’t feel compelled to constantly check stuff or text while driving. My watch will ping me with anything important and that only needs a quick glance.

For browsing reading and emails I generally use my iPad, and not when socializing with others.
Same! If i need to look quickly something up, I'll use my iPhone. Mostly I text, but otherwise, I don't really check my phone for anything but the time.

Often, I put my phone on airplane mode for most of the day to avoid distractions. Sometimes, my better half will come home after a long day and ask why I didn't respond to her texts. :facepalm::facepalm:

Some of the guys I play golf with are checking their phone constantly (not a golf app). Mine goes in my bag and I can’t remember ever looking at it during a round.
One of my golfing buddies can't go more than a couple holes without checking his phone.

My phone goes on "do not disturb" when I'm playing golf. My wife and my aging parents are the only exemptions that can get through, and they'll only call me if it's important.

I have one of the smaller iphones so I don’t have as much to lug around. I use it primarily for calls, texts, gps and camera… rarely use for browsing and social media. I have a plan with lower data to keep bills reasonable.

I imagine that, while the statement that flip phone use is surging is possibly true, it still represents a very small part of total phone usage. If flip phone ownership were 0.1% of total phone ownership, and then became 0.3%, that would represent a tripling in usage. Still a small number though.

I find my smart phone to be very useful for navigating around the densely populated, interesting, and busy metro area that I live in. Saves me from carrying maps and bus timetables, and has all sorts of extra functionality on top of those two very handy uses. It even has a phone! My budget carrier charges me a flat $25/month, which includes unlimited internet usage at healthy speeds. The phone itself cost $100. An absolute bargain.

Last edited:
I have had flip phones up until about 3 years ago. I now have an iPhone and it has expanded my life. Helpful for researching things on the internet (when not at home), GPS, plant identification, and such. I do a little texting and now my main phone line since it is so convienent, (still have a land line, though). When doing things like out in the woods, workshop, meetings, driving, or with friends it is kept silenced. It definitely does not control me.

Andrew Luck was ahead of his time.

I often fail to take my phone with me. My last flip was 3G so had to get an android. I just don't use it like a smart phone most of the time. It's a huge brick of a pseudo flip-phone. YMMV

I have one of the smaller iphones so I don’t have as much to lug around. I use it primarily for calls, texts, gps and camera… rarely use for browsing and social media. I have a plan with lower data to keep bills reasonable.
Same. I bought the Iphone 13 mini as it's just easy to carry around in my pockets. And I don't obsess over it....just use it when I want to. As far as the old flip phones go they are plenty good if you don't text or care to use as an Ipad.

Same. I bought the Iphone 13 mini as it's just easy to carry around in my pockets. And I don't obsess over it....just use it when I want to. As far as the old flip phones go they are plenty good if you don't text or care to use as an Ipad.
I actually do have an iphone (no idea what model.) It's a recycled unit with a crappy battery. It doesn't even have a sim card. They gave it to me in the hospital to operate my TENS unit that helps reduce my back pain.

I have the 13 mini also. It saddens me that a small format phone does not seem to have a large enough market to profitable. The 13 mini is the last one that Apple made. Maybe it will come back.

I don’t obsess over my phone, but I like the functions. I mostly communicate through texts but of course a phone is better if something is going on. I really like the gps (Waze) and the music (Pandora) while I’m in my truck, especially when on a trip. I like the ability to search for things on the fly when I’m shopping (like coupons in the Kroger app while I’m at the store and comparison shopping in general). I also like to use it as a distraction (play games) when I’m stuck somewhere like a dr office.

So no flip phone for me. And, while I could certainly live fine without my phone, I appreciate having one. But, as was said, I use it for me and not others.

I like the convenience of having a smartphone but I’ve turned off the notifications on most apps so I don’t get bugged all the time. Still, I spend more time on my phone than I think is healthy. And yet I would not switch to a flip phone. When used responsibly a smartphone is an incredibly powerful tool.

Great. Another clickbait article. According to the article "Flip phone sales are surging." Yet nowhere in the article is there one statistic showing this. There is nothing in the links provided that show this. There is not one sales statistic to be found anywhere.

There is a link to a survey that showed 34% of respondents wished that sliding phones would come back on to the market.

There is a sentence saying "searches for flip phones are also surging, up 15,369% over the past year among Gen Z and younger Millennials." Notice what the writer did there--without establishing that flip phones sales are surging she then doubles down and says that searches are ALSO surging.

But there is not one sales statistic to be found in the article or the linked articles. Shoddy journalism.

These people that are downgrading to flip phones will be severely disappointed in the cameras. I bet the first time they see one of their photos on a PC monitor they will instantly go back to their smartphones, or at least carry their smartphones and use them as a camera.

I have the 13 mini also. It saddens me that a small format phone does not seem to have a large enough market to profitable. The 13 mini is the last one that Apple made. Maybe it will come back.
This is my first Apple product and I bought it because of the size plus knowing this would be the last small one. But who knows they may offer a small one in the future as things do go in cycles. Motorola offers a flip smart phone in the razr family. It looks interesting. Samsung has something too.

Great. Another clickbait article. According to the article "Flip phone sales are surging." Yet nowhere in the article is there one statistic showing this. There is nothing in the links provided that show this. There is not one sales statistic to be found anywhere.

There is a link to a survey that showed 34% of respondents wished that sliding phones would come back on to the market.

There is a sentence saying "searches for flip phones are also surging, up 15,369% over the past year among Gen Z and younger Millennials." Notice what the writer did there--without establishing that flip phones sales are surging she then doubles down and says that searches are ALSO surging.

But there is not one sales statistic to be found in the article or the linked articles. Shoddy journalism.

I felt the same.
While not ‘flip’ phones, I did find data on ‘feature’ phones (basically any phone that isn’t a ‘smart’ phone).

In 2023, feature phones were about 2% of the market.
That may be growing, even ‘surging’, but it is a long way from what the article implies.

Great article in USA Today:

Flip phone sales are surging as folks seek connection without distraction. Flip phone sales are surging as folks seek connection without distraction

So far, we still have no need for a smart-phone. We have a little Alcatel™ flip-phone that we only turn on if we're travelling and we need to make a call. Then we turn it back off.
We just got back from a 1600+ mile round-trip road-trip around Lake Michigan. I think we turned the phone on three times in the week were gone for DW to call DMIL every other day or so to update her on our progress.
I know a lot of people here couldn't live without the distraction of their smart-phones but for us, it's relaxing to go on a trip... And have nobody bother us. A lot of the people I w*#k with get stressed out during the day due to all the texts they get and then they have to waste (company) time looking at and then responding to those texts. Meanwhile, I have to stand around waiting for them to put their phones down...
Okay, rant over for now. :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom