Flood Insurance

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Given what happened down in Baton Rouge (as well as other areas), I am starting to wonder whether it would be wise to get flood insurance coverage, although I am not in a high risk area for flooding. Any how, I suspect if you get 10-20 inches of rain in a short period of time, there will be flooding regardless of where you live. Called my insurance company and they wanted $450 year for $250K dwelling coverage (that would only partially cover homes value) and $100K contents coverage. Deductible would be $1250.

I have not checked on Government insurance, so not sure how that stacks up rate wise and benefit wise. Anyone else contemplating getting coverage or already have protection in place?

Being in Florida and adjacent to (but not in) a Flood Zone,. I purchased it.
Insurance = Peace of Mind

Rich

My zone is rated X, whatever that means. The agent told me, everyone pays the same rate in such a zone which I believe in not a high risk area.

I don't know how I missed that other thread, must be a case of ADD.
X means less than 0.2% annual probability of flooding. That's why your premium is so low. We live in an X zone, but just a few feet away from the X500, which means up to 1% probability. You might want to look at a flood map of your area to see how close the higher risk areas are.

Thanks Michael, I will check it out.

Edit, we are near an AE zone which believe has a 1% chance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom