Ford F150 transmission rupture

We've had Jeeps and Subarus for the last 30 years and never had one issue at all with any of the four wheel drive systems on any of them. I've pulled small trees and bushes out of the ground in 4WD low with the Jeeps with no problems. The Jeeps had cast iron differentials but the transfer cases were aluminum.

Last edited:
We've had Jeeps and Subarus for the last 30 years and never had one issue at all with any of the four wheel drive systems on any of them. I've pulled small trees and bushes out of the ground in 4WD low with the Jeeps with no problems. The Jeeps had cast iron differentials but the transfer cases were aluminum.
+1

DW has owned 5 Wranglers and I've had 5 4x4 pickups over the years. Other than a Ford that was a lemon we've never had any issues.

Looking at the broken pieces of the differential housing (which we kept), I am coming to the conclusion that Ford just is not built Ford tough anymore. While not common, I have now been told about several of these aluminum differential housings that have failed.

Maybe eventually there will be some class action where I can get a coupon for 50% off at Red Lobster or something when it is settled.

Another vote for only using 4WD high and low when wheels will be spinning or slipping. Many Jeeps, Dodge, and GMC never a problem.

I
" From the information you have given us, there is a possibility that the front differential failure you experienced was due to the shift fork in the transfer case not engaging 4WD low even though the instrument cluster icon showed the shift was complete.

Well THAT'S interesting. You know Ford had a huge problem, including many deaths, because of a problem with "Park" not really being "Park" on some of their vehicles. Seems to be a design theme.

I've seen a few blown diffs when a tire was free wheeling and then suddenly got traction. All that energy has to go somewhere and it'll find the weakest link. The way the newer 4wd and awd systems work is they'll apply brakes to the spinning wheel which will send the power to the wheel that's stuck. This is how limited slip diffs also work. Anyway, I wonder if something similar happened but at a much higher speed where a free wheeling wheel (at 3500 RPM) instantly stopped and the energy blew up the diff because it's the weak link in the chain. You'd think CV axle etc might be the first to go but in the interest of improved fuel economy many components are being built with lightweight materials (aluminum alloy vs steel) the diff was it in this case.

I'd at the very least report it to NHTSA and it doesn't hurt to post on a Ford's VP feed either. He was the one BTW who was challenging Tesla to a tug of war but then backed off saying it was a joke.

"AWD has to be babied too. Blow out a tire and you'll need to buy 4 new ones if the tires have some mileage on them. Alternatively, you'll need to shave the new tire to the same diameter as the old ones to be within 2/32" of the others. Or buy a used tire with that size.

No, this is not a myth. It is right there in my Subaru manual."

This happened to us, too, on our 2009 AWD Vibe. I don't think any shop will doctor a tire to fit.

Our next could be a FWD.

In re OP, when I was working in the far north, the local Ford dealer abandoned the retail business and went into leasing. He bragged that he sold more transmissions than any Ford dealer in the world.

Ed_The_Gypsy;2375193..... This happened to us said:
Tire rack will shave a new tire to the dimensions you give them.

Back
Top Bottom