Free Proton VPN

Rianne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
First, let me express my total ignorance about this. I just signed up for the free version of Proton VPN on my iMac. I have AT&T Uverse. Do I need to buy a router to protect my iPhone? Does the free version encrypt my online searching? Is this even necessary for safe online searching? Thanks for input.

Homepage

Select a plan

svg+xml;base64,PHN2ZyB4bWxucz0iaHR0cDovL3d3dy53My5vcmcvMjAwMC9zdmciIHZpZXdCb3g9IjAgMCAxOCAxOCIgZW5hYmxlLWJhY2tncm91bmQ9Im5ldyAwIDAgMTggMTgiPjxzdHlsZSB0eXBlPSJ0ZXh0L2NzcyI+LnN0MHtmaWxsOiM1QkI3NUI7fTwvc3R5bGU+PGNpcmNsZSBjeD0iOSIgY3k9IjkiIHI9IjkiIGNsYXNzPSJzdDAiLz48L3N2Zz4=

Free
0 € / mo
Billed as 0 €/year

Privacy and security for everyone
  • 1 simultaneous VPN connection
  • Servers in 3 countries
  • Medium speed
  • No logs policy
  • No data limit
  • No ads

svg+xml;base64,PHN2ZyB4bWxucz0iaHR0cDovL3d3dy53My5vcmcvMjAwMC9zdmciIHZpZXdCb3g9IjAgMCA3OSA0MCIgZW5hYmxlLWJhY2tncm91bmQ9Im5ldyAwIDAgNzkgNDAiPjxzdHlsZSB0eXBlPSJ0ZXh0L2NzcyI+LnN0MHtmaWxsOiM1QkI3NUI7fSAuc3Qxe2ZpbGw6bm9uZTtzdHJva2U6IzVCQjc1QjtzdHJva2Utd2lkdGg6NjtzdHJva2UtbWl0ZXJsaW1pdDoxMDt9PC9zdHlsZT48Y2lyY2xlIGN4PSI5IiBjeT0iMzEiIHI9IjkiIGNsYXNzPSJzdDAiLz48Y2lyY2xlIGN4PSI3MCIgY3k9IjkiIHI9IjkiIGNsYXNzPSJzdDAiLz48cGF0aCBjbGFzcz0ic3QxIiBkPSJNOSAzMWw2MS0yMiIvPjwvc3ZnPg==

I use ProtonMail for encrypted email. I like their services.

I have the VPN app on my phone, but do not use it too often. If you have it always enabled, you will likely notice a slow down of your data performance as it routes through their server.

It is most useful (on your phone) if you are connected through a Wi-Fi connection you perhaps don't trust or is public.

Here is a definition of VPN.

VPN stands for virtual private network. It is a private network that extends across a public network or internet. It enables users to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if their computing devices were directly connected to the private network.

When you connect to a VPN, you usually launch a VPN client on your computer (or click a link on a special website), log in with your credentials, and your computer exchanges trusted keys with a far away server. Once both computers have verified each other as authentic, all of your internet communication is encrypted and secured from eavesdropping.

The Opera browser has a VPN that can be turned on.

Also the Tor browser is essentially a VPN.

I tried the Proton VPN and it works OK if slowly. The limit on the number of logons is a problem for me, but it may not be for you.

I found a deal on PIA's VPN for less than $30 a year. It's considerably faster and not that expensive.

Agree with Chuckanut. I used Proton (love their email service though!) and found it to be problematic. I switched to Mullvad VPN and has been great for $5/month.

Back
Top Bottom