Gas explosions in Mass.

ERD50
Thanks for that update. Kind of incredulous that one of the homeowners says the smell was "an everyday occuance-we got numb to it". Now I'm looking at residential combustible gas detectors on Amazon that run $20-30. I think I'll get one to try.
They're well worth the money. I can't smell the stuff they put in nat gas anymore. Bought one to go next to our gas stove. It works very well.

They're well worth the money. I can't smell the stuff they put in nat gas anymore. Bought one to go next to our gas stove. It works very well.

I was born without any sense of smell. I didn't know such a thing existed!

Just got one on Amazon as our stove, grill, fireplace and furnace are all natural gas.

Our stove is a little tricky in that the gas can be turned on by just bumping into it.

I haven't followed up on this tragedy but is the Utility going to pay up for this?

Last edited:
An update on the gas explosion in Mass.
On TV tonight there was a $143 million dollar settlement to the 175,000 people affected. Payments ranged from $50 to $15,000.
The lawyers...............$28 million.
No wonder we're a litigious society!

20% fee. Sounds like lawyers rates haha

Actually, a lawyer working for an individual plaintiff on the typical contingent fee arrangement would get 33% after all costs are reimbursed.

Interesting. I recently saw an episode of This Old House ( or one of its spinoffs) that briefly addressed the tragedy in explaining how gas meters/regulators work

20% fee. Sounds like lawyers rates haha

20% doesn't sound bad at all given that the lawyer(s) have to front all the costs of bringing the suit - investigators, expert witnesses, witnesses to the events, manufacturer's representatives, etc. Those people don't work for free and a lot of them, if not most, have to come from out of the local area and have to be fed, housed, and the like. All that can come to a pretty hefty chunk of change.

And whether the risk pays off depends on what a bunch of local yokels picked from the jury pool think of all of it. Sounds like a pretty risky bet to me, one that I'd look askance at taking.

Back
Top Bottom