Genetic basis of myopia found?

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
As an extremely nearsighted person, I found this fascinating.

Descendants of the famous Bounty mutineers who now live on an isolated Pacific Island have among the lowest rate of myopia in the world and may hold the key to unlocking the genetic code for the disease, according to a new study.

"We found the rate of Pitcairn group myopia is approximately one-half that of the Australian population and as a result would be ranked among one of the lowest rates in the world," said David Mackey, the managing director of Australia's Lions Eye Institute which led the studies.

Eye Eye captain: Bounty mutineer descendants may hold key to myopia - Yahoo! News

First time I ever heard myopia called a disease. You can have perfectly healthy eyes and still be near-sighted; has to do with the shape of the eyeball.

Perhaps myopia has become common in modern populations because corrective lenses give nearsighted people the ability to make livings/find mates as easily as people with normal vision.

Amethyst

Ding ding ding...

Being a near-sighted person (not really bad though) and from a family where 90% of my relatives are near-sighted, I believe that the cause is genetic.

The other day, I was saying that we would not survive in the old days, really old days, with our poor eye sights. Why, if a caveman or cavewoman could not spot a saber-toothed tiger from 300 yards, he or she would be bait and would not make it past teenage years, let alone to SS-drawing age.

Glad I am living in this modern time.

Last edited:
All my life I was extremely nearsighted, as some of my relatives are. Fortunately, I developed cataracts about 5 years ago and was delighted to find out that they replace your lenses in the surgery. I can see without corrective lenses now, except occasionally to read. My brother, also very nearsighted, developed cataracts early and had the same surgery. So did my dad. I wonder if cataracts are more common earlier in extremely nearsighted folks. I've always assumed that nearsightedness is genetic.

All my life I was extremely nearsighted, as some of my relatives are. Fortunately, I developed cataracts about 5 years ago and was delighted to find out that they replace your lenses in the surgery. I can see without corrective lenses now, except occasionally to read. My brother, also very nearsighted, developed cataracts early and had the same surgery. So did my dad. I wonder if cataracts are more common earlier in extremely nearsighted folks. I've always assumed that nearsightedness is genetic.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but curious as to how was the cataracts surgery like? Was it a piece of cake? How long did the procedure take?

In the ancient days, there weren't enough people, so a group might have protected a nearsighted person, who was capable enough in other ways.

I would have stayed close to the ground, excelled at finding edible and useful plants and roots, and eventually become a medicine woman.

Amethyst

Ding ding ding...

Being a near-sighted person (not really bad though) and from a family where 90% of my relatives are near-sighted, I believe that the cause is genetic.

The other day, I was saying that we would not survive in the old days, really old days, with our poor eye sights. Why, if a caveman or cavewoman could not spot a saber-toothed tiger from 300 yards, he or she would be bait and would not make it past teenage years, let alone to SS-drawing age.

Glad I am living in this modern time.

About the correlation of cataracts to extreme nearsightedness, I am not sure, but some of my nieces and nephews have eyeglasses as thick as bottle bottoms. Time will tell, but so far I am OK, but mine is nowhere that bad. An advantage I have now that I am older is that I need no reading glasses for reading or computer usage; I just take off my corrective glasses.

About making a living as a shaman if I were to live in an ancient time, surely I could see myself as this.

ghost-shaman-j-w-baker.jpg

About shawoman, I kept thinking of Madame Rue in the following song.

Love Potion Number Nine - YouTube

I am near-sighted and have been so for 30+ years. The rest of my immediate family (Mom, dad, and siblings) all need glasses to read. The last few times that I have had my eyes examined I was advised (I believe) that my eyesight was moving toward 20/20 each year. I should eventually not need specs.

Too complex for me to try to figure out, but I'm OK with getting better by doing nothing.

easysurfer said:
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but curious as to how was the cataracts surgery like? Was it a piece of cake? How long did the procedure take?

Considering how terrifying it sounded to me, it was a piece of cake! They did each eye 3 weeks apart. They gave me versed before the surgery, which knocked me out for the 20 minutes or so that I was in the surgery room. There was no pain and by the next day, I had 20/20 vision. The best part was being a medical condition, insurance paid for it.

I don't wear glasses. Two of my 4 siblings do. One is the oldest, one is the youngest. The eldest had cataract surgery and no longer needs glasses. The one next youngest to me had cataract surgery and needs glasses to read. Never had them before (except the reader part).

I've been waiting my turn. Still can see far, still can see 'sorta' close (although, my optomitrist says next year for the readers).

Both my parents used 'em but How bad they were I have no idea. Genetic, maybe, doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom