Getting a European phone number

I only tried eSIM once out of curiosity. This was back when T-Mobile international data roaming was slow. I was in Germany and was able to download/install an eSIM from the hotel and had it up and running quickly.

I agree that it’s probably not cheaper compared to a physical SIM, but you can install from anywhere and compared to other expenses when traveling, it’s not that expensive.

Luckily I don’t have to worry about it anymore since T-Mobile supports high speed data for international roaming.

I'll be using a SIM card for the first time for a trip to Egypt in October.

As a Verizon customer and yearly European visitor, I simply purchase Verizons one month International plan which includes unlimited data including phone calls and texts. It's a flat $100. for a month of service. Not cheap but it's super convenient to still have your US phone number unlike getting a new SIM card.

Wait...maybe I need the SIM for Dummies book. If I get a SIM card will I have a different phone number? Will my wife and friends need the new (Egyptian) number to call/text me while I'm in Egypt?

Wait...maybe I need the SIM for Dummies book. If I get a SIM card will I have a different phone number? Will my wife and friends need the new (Egyptian) number to call/text me while I'm in Egypt?
Yes, if you get a SIM you get a different number. Folks will need your new number to contact you via text and call. It will be a long distance number for them.

Unless you have a dual SIM capable phone that can have both active simultaneously. In that case both numbers will work.

^Thanks Audrey. Will look into whether my phone is dual-SIM.
The thing is unless you have international coverage for your US number you might not get those texts or calls from the US while overseas or they might be very expensive. It’s complicated.

Personally I have no use for a foreign phone number while overseas and folks can easily reach us using our US number while overseas because T-Mobile supports this as well as providing international data. We also use non-cell number based contact like emails, FaceTime, Apple messages (which work like text) to maintain contact.

We just used Whatsapp for local communications with friends, family, landlords of airbnbs. At least in Italy it's ubiquitous.

When I worked at NATO, everyone used WhatsApp. That's probably the easiest and cheapest way. Alternatively, just pick up a pre-paid SIM card at an Aldi or Carrefour after you get to Europe.

We used WhatsApp to communicate with our daughter when she was overseas, and I have bought and used a prepaid SIM card in Ireland in the past.

WhatsApp still needs to connect to internet to work. If OP is near Wi-Fi, no problem but some kind of data plan would still be nice - also for things like Google Maps. A good solution is something like https://www.airalo.com/ - it's cheaper than extra international fees from Verizon, T-Mobile or AT&T.

Local SIMs might be even cheaper - and there's no roaming in EU - but countries are very particular when considering what plans can be sold to foreigners. Some only sell physical SIMs, some require passports, some have limited access to data (only the country of origin), some won't even allow a phone number and would only sell data SIM.

WhatsApp still needs to connect to internet to work. If OP is near Wi-Fi, no problem but some kind of data plan would still be nice - also for things like Google Maps. A good solution is something like https://www.airalo.com/ - it's cheaper than extra international fees from Verizon, T-Mobile or AT&T.

Local SIMs might be even cheaper - and there's no roaming in EU - but countries are very particular when considering what plans can be sold to foreigners. Some only sell physical SIMs, some require passports, some have limited access to data (only the country of origin), some won't even allow a phone number and would only sell data SIM.

I will have wifi coverage through my Verizon plan. It may not be the cheapest but it is reliable and I know from passt experience that it works.

I will have wifi coverage through my Verizon plan. It may not be the cheapest but it is reliable and I know from passt experience that it works.

Oh, so you'll have Data - which is an access to the internet you get through your mobile provider, Verizon in your case. Wi-Fi and Data are not the same thing but for the purpose of this thread they totally can be :cool:

Oh, so you'll have Data - which is an access to the internet you get through your mobile provider, Verizon in your case. Wi-Fi and Data are not the same thing but for the purpose of this thread they totally can be :cool:

Yes, I understand the difference. I have mobile data everywhere and wifi at hotel and sometimes at restaurants.

My story is back in 2005 or 2006 visiting Rome, first time in Italy.

I stayed at the Intercontinental on top of the Spanish Steps. But they didn't have wifi or maybe they did but they charged a prohibitive price.

Whatever the case, I bought a 1 week pass at an Easyinternet cyber cafe. Remember those?

Yep- I've used a few of those! :) I also remember hotels charging $9.95/day for Internet access (sometimes per device!). They had to kiss that goodbye.

And thanks to whoever posted the link to Mint plans, which may have been on the e-SIM discussion; I'd tried to access that info before but the main page wanted my contact info before I could find anything out. Looks like I can move to Mint without changing my phone number and get more data than I get from Ting for the same cost.

Last edited:
MobiMatter (Hong Kong "3" network) has a European data only eSim US$ 22.99 for 20GB of data valid for 30 days. But, it's data only — no phone number. So, you'd have to use WhatsApp or some soft phone/virtual phone service if you want to phone someone.

First time ever in 13 years of travel that we bought a sim card or even used our phone.

We typically rely on our ipads.

So we bought a one month sim from Vodaphone in Madeira for 9.99 euro. Got the phone number. It included the data.

In five weeks we used the phone twice. Once to make an unnecessary call in on the mainland and once to check a train schedule on line.

The Vodofone inserted the new sim card, checked it to make certain that it worked. When we back to Canada a Koodo cell rep where we landed re-inserted our sim card and verified that it worked. All very nice but we will not bother next time. We do not really need it.

Thought I would chime in, as we have a 2nd home in Europe and have tried a variety of methods.
a. What's App is widely used, but has limitations.
b. Orange has a Holiday SIM that is 40E and good throughout Europe for two weeks. It is rechargeable. But, you must use it within 6 months again.
c. I use Airalo as a data only sim. Plans start at $5. I have a local voice only line that comes for free with our internet/tv/phone package. The data plan works very well.

We end up using the data much more for maps, restaurants reviews, price comparisons, etc, then text. Some restaurants, hotels and AirBnB hosts are only reachable by phone. Plus, we are frequently meeting up with others on local lines.

eSIM is the way to go if your phone supports it. I have two numbers and one is an eSIM, converted years after dealing with a physical SIM card (that was a pain).

You can get data only eSIMs. I don’t see the benefit of a different number for a short trip. I know US Mobile offered good deals on eSIMs for different countries, but I haven’t heard anything about them recently, so not sure if they’re still good or competitive.

Everyone I’ve ever had to deal with while traveling uses Whatsapp. The only downside to Whatsapp is it’s owned by Meta.
Telegram is the choice. We've been using it between US and various EU countires.

Back
Top Bottom