Gold woke up

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Where we track it it was $1779 on 11/3. Today, 11/11, Philharmonics are $1866.

Gold just seems to meander these days. Once upon a time, you could pretty much count on an inverse relationship to the stock market or general economic conditions (inflation, unemployment). Now, I'm not sure it is used as a hedge against anything any more (at least not by the under-50 crowd).

I don't think gold is anything more than an approximate measure of the US $ value. With inflation that is now documented higher, the value of the dollar goes down and subsequent price of gold increases.
So gold isn't a good investment IMHO. All you might get is a lucky timing bump if you sell at the right time, but over long term it is just equal. I'll take stocks that increase relative to the dollar including inflation.

Where do you get Philharmonics for that close spot? Online they're $1961 today.

We've used AJPM.com in the past and use them to track prices. I agree that gold is bumping up as a response to inflation talk. Think the stock market is zooming up for the same reason - that and people just are desperate to find somewhere to stash there cash that could go up.

Anyone have opinions on the best way to sell physical numismatic gold? I have a fair number of old gold coins, bought many years ago, long before I was investing, as a way to “diversify” and put some cash where I couldn’t easily touch it. (IIRC 1oz Double Eagles were $4xx back then.) Maybe $20k worth now. I never considered what I would do with them once retired, but the “allure” of just owning it is pretty much over. Also a bunch if silver coins, maybe another $5k worth. I’d rather put it all towards a new Porsche….

^Just call around coin dealers and pawn type places and ask what they'd give you. Be sure to ask about out the door, because they often quote a good rate, then hit you with fees. My Dad had a bunch to sell and worked a deal with Kitco or one of those. They'll tell you exactly what they'll pay, fees, shipping, insurance, etc. It was better than any local shop, but not worth it for a few coins. A coin show might work too...you might play the various buyers off each other quicker than calling around.

Back
Top Bottom