GPO and WEP impact on Social Security spousal benefit

PERSonalTime

Recycles dryer sheets
Is there anyway a person with a governmental pension of around $60,000 a year would be able to collect any amount of Social Security spousal benefit?

Is there anyway a person with a governmental pension of around $60,000 a year could collect any amount of Social Security spousal benefit?

Yes, hold off on collecting the pension, and claim the SS.

This would be of benefit if the pension increases due to the delay while collecting SS.

Too late, pension already started. What’s the outlook now?

I think you are out of luck. Have you studied how the Government Pension Offset works?

You can claim under your own record if you have 10 years wherein you paid into social security. This benefit will be reduced by the GPO. So, you will normally , if you only paid in 10 years, collect around 50% of the calculation. If you did not pay in at least 10 years, then you will not qualify , as the GPO will wipe out any spousal benefit. Alternately, if you in retirement take a part time job and pay into social security for 10 years, that work will qualify you for a benefit. My husband is civil service, worked social security for 10 years, low pay , and collects around $350.00. ( student work etc...)

IIRC, GPO reduces survivor benefits by 2/3 of your government pension. At $60K that would be a $40K reduction so the answer would be no. Here is a GPO calculator.

Is there anyway a person with a governmental pension of around $60,000 a year could collect any amount of Social Security spousal benefit?

It depends on whether or not the person receiving the pension paid into social security for the employment that generated that pension. For example, I receive a government pension, but I paid into social security, so neither the WEP nor the GPO affect me. On the other hand, the young wife also receives a government pension, but she did not pay into social security, so she is subject to both WEP and GPO.

MODERATOR NOTE - two threads with identical posts by the OP have been merged. Please don't post multiple threads on the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom