Greetings from Gerbil Wheel

Gerbil Wheel

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi all, this is Gerbil Wheel. I had a bad day at work which is (finally) prompting my intro. So here goes.

I worked in consulting for several years and was laid off last summer. Loved the organization and people; no hard feelings or grudges. But it was my time to go.

I relocated to Megacorp several months ago...well paid, but realize this is not an environment where I will thrive. It is borderline unbearable!

I can't -- and don't want to -- FIRE yet, but I am contemplating a career break that may lead me on another path.

The stats:

Age 42; male; single; no kids; dog

Renting out former home; $300/mo. negative cash flow; 8 years left on 15-year note (house worth $275k and $90k left on note); and my home is in pristine condition. I am currently renting where I live now.

$115 in Roth IRA; $70k in traditional IRA; $5k in 401(k) (combined, 80% equity index and 20% fixed income). Maxing out on 401(k) and IRA contributions.

I also have two small pension benefits that will pay about $600/mo. combined (in today dollars; not indexed for inflation) at age 65.

$63k in "chicken money" sitting in cash (keep telling myself I will buy equity index on dips but can't stomach losing a cent). Saving additional $1,500/mo., net of rental property negative cash flow.

Car paid for; planning to sell extraneous belongings (finally over the "stuff" phase). No consumer debts.

I am comfortable investing in stocks for the long-term. I do not contemplate taking retirement distributions or social security until I am age 65 to 67. Obviously that means I need to live on other income in the meantime.

I am thinking about leaving Megacorp within a year or three and traveling overseas, and maybe wind up teaching English or exploring other opportunities. The timing depends on my dog's lifespan - I won't leave before she passes away (dog is 8 years old now and in excellent health).

I know a career break could jeopardize my ability to re-enter my field at a later date, but right now I just don't give a hoot! :mad:

I want to continue working, but I want truly enjoyable work; more time off; see the world; etc. etc.

Oh yeah, parents are ages 75 and 74, in good health but may need me back around eventually. Me starting a family? No plans to, but never say never.

Unleash the skeptics!

Thanks, Gerbil Wheel :greetings10:

I relocated to Megacorp several months ago...well paid, but realize this is not an environment where I will thrive. It is borderline unbearable!

Most mega corps are like that.

Renting out former home; $300/mo. negative cash flow; 8 years left on 15-year note (house worth $275k and $90k left on note); and my home is in pristine condition.
300/mo - rent?

I am thinking about leaving Megacorp within a year or three and traveling overseas, and maybe wind up teaching English or exploring other opportunities. The timing depends on my dog's lifespan - I won't leave before she passes away (dog is 8 years old now and in excellent health).

First I'd say count your blessings - job, savings, educated and time to figure out what you want to do.

Second, try finding a way to de-stress your life.

If you were at your previous job; would you be posting this?

What would it take for your current job bearable?

You do have enough money for a break.

Have you traveled overseas on the cheap (a lot different than on the company's dime) and looked into the English teaching angle?

Read some of Andy's post to some of his remote locals.
Brag About Your 200 Dollars Per Month Room

300/mo - rent?

The rent is higher...$300 is the monthly deficit after paying mortgage, taxes, insurance, property manager and upkeep.

I doubt it...my posting is caused mainly by current job dissatisfaction.

Less workload...we are definitely overworked right now.

Have you traveled overseas on the cheap (a lot different than on the company's dime) and looked into the English teaching angle?

Yes, I went to SEA and loved it. I also learned that once you get out of the tourist zones, you really can live on the cheap once you find the right groove.

On the English teaching angle...I am currently researching...I would say on the plus side -- I am much better at English than math, and I want to make a difference. On the minus side -- I don't like to talk a lot, and teaching would probably wear me out. Still in the embryonic stages of the research. Looks like I could earn about $1,500/mo. on average with living costs around $500/mo.

300/mo - rent?

The rent is higher...$300 is the monthly deficit after paying mortgage, taxes, insurance, property manager and upkeep.

I doubt it...my posting is caused mainly by current job dissatisfaction.

Less workload...we are definitely overworked right now.

Yes, I went to SEA and loved it. I also learned that once you get out of the tourist zones, you really can live on the cheap once you find the right groove.

On the English teaching angle...I am currently researching...I would say on the plus side -- I am much better at English than math, and I want to make a difference. On the minus side -- I don't like to talk a lot, and teaching would probably wear me out. Still in the embryonic stages of the research. Looks like I could earn about $1,500/mo. on average with living costs around $500/mo.

Bottom line - You have enough money to take some time off. I would not recommend it at this time. As I said before I would suggest seeing how you can de-stress your life and improve you current job work environment and save money. In the mean time, research you goal, take a vacation there and stay in one place imagining you were living there for a year. Going from a fast paced job to a 3rd world country is a large transition.

"On the minus side -- I don't like to talk a lot, and teaching would probably wear me out." Good insight about yourself - try doing some volunteer work as a test case for teaching.

Thanks for the comments and advice. I will bite the bullett for a while and try to improve my current situation. And volunteering is a great idea as a test case for teaching.

Back
Top Bottom