Grocery Added To The List

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
As I was watching the morning news today, there was a segment on a potential merger of grocery stores. That news aside, near the end one of the anchors pointed out the different pronunciation of the word "grocery" between him and the reporter.

He said, once you hear the difference you won't get the different pronunciations out of your mind. Kind of like that picture of the old lady or the young lady thing I guess. I've only thought of that word pronounced one way before my mind got messed up now :(.

Now we have po-tay-toe, po-tatt-toe, tom-may-toe, tom-matt-toe
and gro-sir-ree, gro-sure-ree :popcorn:.

Vite-a-mins or Vit-a-mins?

Don't get me started on Gloucester.

My Italian relatives spoke a dialect. They routinely left out the last vowel of many Italian words.

I think I'm an outlier on February. As a kid learning to spell feb-u-ary made no sense to me. So I've always said feb-rew-ary. I don't think anyone's ever challenged me on it so I guess it's OK.

The English have us beat on this pronunciation stuff; they make us look like rank amateurs.

Gloucester (GLOS-ter)? Child's play.

Just across the Thames from the Tower is the district of Southwark, pronounced SUTH-erk.

One of my favorites is the name Featherstonehaugh, which is pronounced FAN-shaw.

Or Cholmondley, pronounced CHUM-lee.

But of course, Houston Street in NYC is pronounced HOUSE-ton, as everyone knows.

I think I'm an outlier on February. As a kid learning to spell feb-u-ary made no sense to me. So I've always said feb-rew-ary. I don't think anyone's ever challenged me on it so I guess it's OK.

Ditto, to the gal's amusement. And temp er a ture rather than temper chure. Alexa seems to agree with her version of that word and generally responds to gal's pronunciation in sentences better she does mine. Ah well, at least gal doesn't say worsh like her Daddy did.

I'll add a third: gro-shree

Here too. But with a Minnesota accent thicker than in Fargo. GROWshree store. Preceded by the name of the proprietor of the store.

Last edited:
The English have us beat on this pronunciation stuff; they make us look like rank amateurs.

Gloucester (GLOS-ter)? Child's play.

Just across the Thames from the Tower is the district of Southwark, pronounced SUTH-erk.

One of my favorites is the name Featherstonehaugh, which is pronounced FAN-shaw.

Or Cholmondley, pronounced CHUM-lee.

But of course, Houston Street in NYC is pronounced HOUSE-ton, as everyone knows.
Different Houston just so you know. Originally spelled Houstoun.

I'll add a third: gro-shree

Here too. But with a Minnesota accent thicker than in Fargo. GROWshree store. Preceded by the name of the proprietor of the store.

Same here in northern Il. gro-shree. But we don't precede by the name of the proprietor. If the proprietor name is mentioned, it's just the proprietor. Like "Today we went to Fresh Thyme" or "Going to the grocery store"

Some 1960s game show, might have been What's My Line?, had a guest who claimed to be able to determine where you grew up by asking your responses to three questions or so. He wanted to narrow it to a part of a US state, but during demonstrations was only after to guess within a state-size region, which is still pretty good. In videos I've been hearing young cats described as both kit-tens and kit-ens

As I was watching the morning news today, there was a segment on a potential merger of grocery stores. That news aside, near the end one of the anchors pointed out the different pronunciation of the word "grocery" between him and the reporter.

He said, once you hear the difference you won't get the different pronunciations out of your mind. Kind of like that picture of the old lady or the young lady thing I guess. I've only thought of that word pronounced one way before my mind got messed up now :(.

Now we have po-tay-toe, po-tatt-toe, tom-may-toe, tom-matt-toe
and gro-sir-ree, gro-sure-ree :popcorn:.

sorry, it's TOW-MAY-TOW. :D

Piggly-Wiggly

I spent many of my summers with my grandparents near Wappapello,MO. On Fridays we went to town...Poplar Bluff. PB had a Piggly Wiggly and down the block there was another grocer...Jim Hogg. Not a lot of chain stores in those days.

Back
Top Bottom