Ground coffee anyone.

I just tried putting some ground coffee in the accessory coffee holder. It was terrible. Grounds in the cup, etc. Don't have the manual any more so how does this thing work? Is there some filter I have to use?
I use these: Ekobrew Cup, Refillable Cup for Keurig K-cup Brewers

No grounds get through, but you do end up with a little sludge in the bottom of your cup. If that bothers you there are mini-filters available, but I found them to be more trouble than they are worth.

I originally started using the MSR Mugmate portable metal/plastic coffee filter to make brewed coffee one cup at a time when I was traveling:

MSR Mugmate Coffee/Tea Filter : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors

It is so good that it is all I use to make coffee now. I place it in a big coffee cup, add coffee inside the basket, pour boiled water through it, and then wait 4 minutes.

In fact, I plan to buy another when I am back in the States this summer just to have a backup.

I researched ways to make brewed coffee while traveling and the technique using the filter above won out by far. When I am on the road, I bring one of these, a dual-voltage portable immersion heater that is very light:

Lewis N Clark Dual Voltage Immersion Heater 120V 240V Travel Hot Water Portable - Amazon.com

I use these: Ekobrew Cup, Refillable Cup for Keurig K-cup Brewers

No grounds get through, but you do end up with a little sludge in the bottom of your cup. If that bothers you there are mini-filters available, but I found them to be more trouble than they are worth.

Johnnie, we have this one that we picked up at Bed Bath & Beyond: http://www.amazon.com/Keurig-K-Cup-Reusable-Coffee-Filter/dp/B000DLB2FI/ref=pd_sbs_gro_2

514HHW15KFL._SY355_.jpg

I've not used it but DH says the coffee is just fine, no grounds in it or sludge (he is not very discriminating but he would notice those!). It does say not to use finely ground coffee.

When I had to cut back on coffee, due to sensitivity to caffeine increasing with age, I decided that it was time to shell out the $$$$ for whatever coffee I like best. Quality has become more important than quantity.

So, I bought a coffee bean grinder and over a dozen brands of coffee that were highly recommended by various sources on the internet. Time for taste tests! :)

Turned out that the winner of my taste tests was Dunkin Donuts Original Blend, the only one that was pre-ground. This is now my coffee and I buy it pre-ground.

The coffee grinder is now relocated to the shadows at the back of the highest shelf in my kitchen.

I just finished my second cup of "W2R certified perfect coffee" (Dunkin Donuts original blend, with fresh sugar-free creamer :D), and it was so delicious. It's great to find out exactly what one likes best of all, and then go for that. A truly good cup of coffee is one of the great joys of life, as far as I am concerned.

Keurig coffeemakers are fabulous, I understand, although I believe that I am one of the few whose habits are not suited to a Keurig. I use a conventional coffeemaker that makes exactly 2 mugs-full, so I can't drink more than that. I think that if I had a Keurig with the re-fillable cup then I might forget how many cups I had had, and then end up drinking too much coffee.

I also use a burr grinder and not sure why some think it's a hassle to grind whole beans. Scope some beans in the grinder and turn it on, takes about 30 seconds to grind, and you can be doing other things while the grinder is working.

Back
Top Bottom