Habitat for Humanity questions

For me, volunteering is its own reward, but one must select an organization that feels right.
Since mid September I've spent dozens of hours laboring at the local Senior Center also putting up giant Christmas light displays around the lake.
Lucky for y'all I'm usually too tired to post.

Our church built a HFH house a few years back. I have most of the skills required to build a house, so I threw in with the volunteers. I enjoyed the effort. In fact, my DD & DW's girlscout troup built an outside shed for the house as a separate project. It was fun watching a dozen teenage girls and their scout leaders put it all together. They managed quite well, some girls better than others. Not at all unlike what you see with the adults on the main house.

I did hear a few grumbles about the woman designated to receive the property and here kids not pitching in to help build or haul material. This might simply have been a reluctance to interfere in the effort. They are required to put time into building a house, but not necessarily their own I think.

Overall it was a great effort, and I'd like to see us repeated sometime. It's good for the person getting the house, it's good for the community, but it's really good for the team that builds it. I highly recommend it.

For me, volunteering is its own reward, but one must select an organization that feels right.
Since mid September I've spent dozens of hours laboring at the local Senior Center also putting up giant Christmas light displays around the lake.
Lucky for y'all I'm usually too tired to post.
Is that the CB lake or are you back in NY?
kbst

Hi kbst!

You guessed it CB lake. One of the two honchos who had been doing all the lighting and heavy lifting passed away recently.

Hi Bum,
I'll check out you're Christmas decorating prowess weekend after next as we will be down there then. Maybe I'll help next year as it seems we'll be RE then. 2 years ahead of plan.

kbst

I did hear a few grumbles about the woman designated to receive the property and here kids not pitching in to help build or haul material. This might simply have been a reluctance to interfere in the effort. They are required to put time into building a house, but not necessarily their own I think.

My sister worked on a few also and she mentioned the same thing....It sounded like the potential owner was asked to pick up trash...It really doesnt surprise me that some would complain, though...

Back
Top Bottom