Haight-Ashbury: Summer of Love

...93% of returning veterans found their homecoming friendly, while only 3% found it unfriendly.

While it is true that I was not "spat upon" my return, I did face prejudice for the uniform I wore - not the color of my skin, during those days.

I still remember my return in early September, 1969 when leaving Travis AFB, there were a handful of protesters at the gate, with signs hung on the security fence. Since it was just a second or two till the taxi went through the gate, the incident was not considered (at least to me) to be of importance.

What did "stir my soul" over the next several weeks were the looks I received while in uniform, while out in public - not near a military base.

In the airport, eyes averted yours. There were no smiles, no handshakes, and certainly no "welcome home" comments by strangers.

These are things that were done during WWII, when both my father and my future FIL served.

There were neither parades nor acknowledgement of what we were, regardless of your opinion for/against the conflict.

Even at my wedding (held three weeks after my return), there were a lot of folks (friends/relatives) that did not know how, or even if they should talk to me.

Before I went over, I was much like of Ron Kovic, as portrayed by Tom Cruise (no - you won't ever mistake me with Tom). However, as shown in the early part of the film, the personal honor, and duty of Ron (as related to his sense of pride in his country) was the same as I felt before I left.

However, once I was in-country and witnessed the FUBAR of the situation of basically being an outsider participating in what was a civil war, I just counted the days (and the hours) till I would get back to the world.

At least today, the folks that go in harm's way are acknowledged for their personal sacrifice, not the politics involved in the conflict.

That's progress.

In the airport, eyes averted yours. There were no smiles, no handshakes, and certainly no "welcome home" comments by strangers.

At least today, the folks that go in harm's way are acknowledged for their personal sacrifice, not the politics involved in the conflict.

I'm not usually emotional, but your story (multiplied by thousands - and several that I know personally) has me sitting here with tears in my eyes. I was blessed with a high enough draft number but was otherwise 1-A at the time. I even took my draft physical. Only by the grace of God did I not have to endure what you endured (before, during and after). May God, time and perhaps your fellow forum members help to heal your scars and the scars of the many who had to endure this tragic event - and I include the people of Viet Nam. God bless all of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
... a Yamaha Twin Jet 100 motorcycle, a stunningly beautiful girlfriend who I was madly in love with even though her parents (wisely) forbade her getting on the bike, and for the most part trying to figure out what would happen when I grew up.
Don't leave us hangin', man, the suspense is killing! I have to ask: what happened to the bike?

The poll also reported that over 75% of returning vets were opposed to the war.
There's a difference between opposing war on philosophical grounds and opposing it on grounds for incompetence.

Many of those stories likely are urban legend. Reinforcing his myth hypothesis, Lembcke cites a Harris poll reported to Congress in 1972 that indicates 93% of returning veterans found their homecoming friendly, while only 3% found it unfriendly. The poll also reported that over 75% of returning vets were opposed to the war. Vietnam Veterans Against the War: THE VETERAN: Debunking A Myth

As a teenager I protested the war and everyone I knew had nothing but respect for the soldiers. Some were former military. Some were trying to avoid being soldiers. Some had brothers that had been drafted.

I was too young for the summer of love. Did my summer of love about 5 years later. :)

I was in the 3%. When I was in uniform on leave in Portland, Oregon, I got flack from a couple of adults. I expected it.

After I mustered out, working as a painter, a Portland cop stopped me because I had short hair (!). I went back to college at the University of Washington. There were enough vets there to go drinking with.

The hostility was there, trust me. We took off our uniforms as soon as we could.

Don't leave us hangin', man, the suspense is killing! I have to ask: what happened to the bike?

After riding it through a winter I sold it to buy a car that had a heater in it for the following winter. I was NOT going to do that again! I'm still not "quite right in the head" about cold weather, I think in part because of that experience. But I'm one of those people who doesn't come out of long sleeves until the temperatures are 80 F or better.

DH's return home from active duty (stateside, thank God) in the early 70s was pretty much invisible--go home, change uniform, done. No hostility but no thanks either.

Maybe 75% of returning vets were opposed to the war back in the day because many of those vets were drafted (like DH--not that he was necessarily opposed). Many of the people today who have been in the armed forces (including the reserves and National Guards) for a while didn't really sign up for combat, but at least they chose to sign up. They all deserve a parade.

Back
Top Bottom