Harvesting for tax loss

lawman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a investment grade bond fund (VFIDX) that I have an unrealized loss of $39,000.00 in. I want to sell it in order to reduce my tax for this year..I don't really have anything with gains that I want to sell to offset that much loss.I think it would still be wise to sell it even if all I do is get to use $3000.00 limit that I can deduct each year. My problem is I want to exchange it for something that will pay as much in dividends as this fund and not expose me to any additional risk. It is currently yielding 3.87%. Looking for suggestions on how I might proceed..Thanks..

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/profile/VFIDX

Last edited:
I think you mean you have a loss, not a gain.

Investigate PTIAX. Similar yield. Dropped less so far.
Watch wash sale for any recent reinvested dividend.

I tax loss exchanged a bunch in 2008. Never was really out of the market, but I milked that tax advantage all the way into 2016. So I agree with your strategy.

Last edited:
I think you mean you have a loss, not a gain.

Investigate PTIAX. Similar yield. Dropped less so far.
Watch wash sale for any recent reinvested dividend.

I tax loss exchanged a bunch in 2008. Never was really out of the market, but I milked that tax advantage all the way into 2016. So I agree with your strategy.

Yes...I meant loss...Now corrected...Thanks!

You could consider going down a bit in duration to VFSUX. The difference in yields will cost you about $60 on a $100k investment for the month you need to be out. You might make that up in principal if NAVs continue to decline. For something different, there’s high-yield muni VWALX with a slightly lower duration and a yield of 3.4%.

You could consider going down a bit in duration to VFSUX. The difference in yields will cost you about $60 on a $100k investment for the month you need to be out. You might make that up in principal if NAVs continue to decline. For something different, there’s high-yield muni VWALX with a slightly lower duration and a yield of 3.4%.

So correct me if I'm wrong...After being out of VFIDX for 30 days I can buy it back without a penalty?

Well you can now count on interest rates to either level off or go down..I have decided to stop the bleeding and placed an order to sell my bond fund at today's closing...I am looking at a $40,000.00 loss and just can't stand to see that possibly double as I feel it could..At any rate my plan is to go into VUSFX for now. I will buy back VFIDX when I think the carnage is over..10 year treasuries are now near 3%..At least I won't be destroyed if treasuries go back to 11%. It did it once..I can't see why it can't do it again..So much for the safety of bonds..

So correct me if I'm wrong...After being out of VFIDX for 30 days I can buy it back without a penalty?

If buying a different fund but the same type of fund after a tax loss, I think it is best to wait 31 days to buy again, just to make sure the 30 days are covered.

If buying a different fund but the same type of fund after a tax loss, I think it is best to wait 31 days to buy again, just to make sure the 30 days are covered.

VFIDX is an intermediate term investment grade fund.VUSFX is an ultra short term investment grade fund..Do you think those would be subject to the 30 day wash rule?

VFIDX is an intermediate term investment grade fund.VUSFX is an ultra short term investment grade fund..Do you think those would be subject to the 30 day wash rule?

Not sure. I would call your brokerage and ask. Or just to be on the safe side when I am unsure, I wait the 31 days and then I don't have to worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom