Has Anyone Tried a Weighted Blanket to Improve Sleep?

Silver

Full time employment: Posting here.
I've never been a good sleeper. I probably get more sleep than I feel I do, but it seems like I'm awake a lot. I just had a total mouth reconstruction done a week ago, so it's not surprising I'd be having issues now. But this isn't anything new. I take melatonin 5mg, but I don't want to use any further drugs.

I see these advertisements for 12-15 pound blankets (for an adult, twin size) and wonder if they really are helpful. I think of the "Thunder Jackets" which are weighted vests that seem to calm dogs during storms. And I know Occupational Therapists use weighted vests during therapy for some autistic kids because it helps them to be able to focus better.

Does anyone have any experience with using a weighted blanket for improving sleep?

Thanks

Search "weighted blanket" here on the site and you'll find a number of threads that discuss them.

My son does and he says it helps. I tried one and it didn't help me.

If you have any problems at all with plantar fasciitis or calf strains I either wouldn't get one, or at least don't cover your feet. The weight on your feet will push your toes downward, which shortens the Achilles tendons and calf muscles.

Daughter bought one for me. It is a 12-pounder from Target (Tranquility brand), and it feels like 25 pounds, so start with the lightest weight you can find.

I think it does help in cooler weather, but might heat you up too much in the warmer weather. Also make sure you have your tv remote and whatever nearby as you won't want to get up after arranging yourself underneath the blanket.

My younger son has one and swears by it. Good sleep helps with good mental health... his anxiety pretty much disappeared with the use of the weighted blanket.

Perhaps try out the concept by adding several extra blankets to your bed and giving it a try. If you like it, then invest in the weighted blanket.

I love sleeping with multiple blankets on cool nights.

My younger son has one and swears by it. Good sleep helps with good mental health... his anxiety pretty much disappeared with the use of the weighted blanket.

Definitely! I have a dear friend who suffers from anxiety and she was telling me that the weighted blanket brings her great comfort and is one her favorite purchases ever. She said she feels like she’s getting a warm hug when she uses it.

I have one. I like how it feels. I don't think it really improves sleep. The one negative is that it easily slides off the bed if I get it close to the edge. I didn't use it during the summer.

I've tried it before. Wasn't the "professional" kind. It was a spare 9 pound cargo blanket I had lying around. I did not experience any improved sleep. But after reading the testimonials here I just might give it another go

Thanks so much for all the responses. I'm going to try one and I hope it helps.

My son does and he says it helps. I tried one and it didn't help me.

If you have any problems at all with plantar fasciitis or calf strains I either wouldn't get one, or at least don't cover your feet. The weight on your feet will push your toes downward, which shortens the Achilles tendons and calf muscles.
Or jam a small pillow underneath the blanket at the foot of the bed for some help on the toes

If you want to try some type of sleep aids including supplements, Dr. Peter Attia has a protocal that he has developed. Peters practice is devoted to longevity and he thinks sleep is important and has went deep into finding out how to get plenty of sleep. This is someone elses write up about about Peter's protocol. Don't be mislead by one of the headings "Peter Attia Sleep Supplements" he is not selling these, it is just what he has found
good scientific reason that they can help

contibute to a good nights sleep.

https://brainflow.co/index.php/2020/04/07/peter-attia-sleep-protocol/

I bought a weighted heating pad for sore shoulders, back etc. Sorry to say the weight made it worse. It locked my joints in a position. After 20-30 minutes my joints ached more when I tried to move.

Thanks Time2...I'll take a look at it. Appreciate the info.
I'd take what you see there with at least a small grain of salt. I've listened to Attia's podcasts since the very first one, and just because he mentioned it in an interview, or even on "The Drive", doesn't mean it's what he's currently doing, that he's recommending it, or that it's right for everyone. This site does contain some facts, but it seems to be more interested in driving people to click affiliate links than clarifying what Attia really recommends and why.

As to the blankets, on the multi-part sleep podcast with expert Matt Walker, he that there's no evidence that the blankets work, but Peter said even if it's only a placebo effect, it might be worth a try. And that was good enough to get the blankets on Attia's member discounts page (https://peterattiamd.com/members/discounts/), but you only get the $38 bucks off of $189 blanket if you pay Attia's $15 per month. You'd need to shop to see if there might be discounts not requiring membership. And oh, by the way, the site somehow doesn't mention the blankets...probably because they couldn't rig a kickback payment for the click.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom