Heels question

lsimpson33

Dryer sheet aficionado
Sometimes when I lay down on a bed or a couch (seems to be when the mattress or couch is very firm?), my heels get sore after a while, as if I'm subconsciously pressing down with them. Googling the symptom shows things like heel spurs. I'm a very healthy person in my late 30's. No foot, heel issues, etc and I don't think it's anything like that, since this is my only symptom and only happens in the instance outlined.

Any insights?

I got heel spurs when I was younger, 20s or 30s, I don't quite remember. So painful in the morning that I had to walk tip toe when first getting out of bed. Had to quit running for awhile. The cure for me was keeping the calf and achilles tendon stretched. The spurs didn't go away, but the pain did, and I was able to take up running again. Had one flare-up when I was older, due to sitting half-lotus for long periods of time. Used a night splint for a while, and that stopped the pain.

There's at least one other thread about heel spurs on this site with various stories and other treatments you can try.

Honestly, this is not a wise-guy remark: Welcome to middle age.

Around age 40, most of us start having odd aches and pains. Stuff that used to not bother us, starts bothering us. It is just wear and tear.

That said, there are a few things to be aware of that I can thing of right away.

1) Have you had a diabetes check? Beware of poor circulation.
2) Smoking? If so, stop. Creates poor circulation.
3) Try different shoes during the day.

Do you run?

I had PF in my mid-40s, which is well managed now, but an exam revealed a heel spur. I don't have any symptoms from that though. Visit to the podiatrist should rule out the usual suspects, but yes circulation could be a thing too, so mention it at your next GP visit.

Not heel spurs

I'm not convinced it's heel spurs. If it was, it would happen more often.

Does it help to rest your feet on a soft pillow when you are lying down? If so then I'd do that.

Sounds like symptoms I had years and years ago. Plantar fasciitis. Flares up again occasionally and I do the requisite exercises.

Sometimes when I lay down on a bed or a couch (seems to be when the mattress or couch is very firm?), my heels get sore after a while, as if I'm subconsciously pressing down with them. Googling the symptom shows things like heel spurs. I'm a very healthy person in my late 30's. No foot, heel issues, etc and I don't think it's anything like that, since this is my only symptom and only happens in the instance outlined.

Any insights?

Pain in heel or achilles tendon area at the back?

I've got this condition & after achilles problems for years have been told I am overdue for surgery (both sides):

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322432

Have you tried positioning a soft pillow under both calves when sleeping so that the pressure is taken off of your heels? Just a suggestion.

Ditto on Plantar Facciitis.

See a Foot and Ankle doc. There are a number of ways to treat the condition, from exercises, wearing a plastic boot when you sleep, custom orthotics and ultimately surgery, although usually surgery is unneccesary.

Ditto on Plantar Facciitis.

See a Foot and Ankle doc. There are a number of ways to treat the condition, from exercises, wearing a plastic boot when you sleep, custom orthotics and ultimately surgery, although usually surgery is unneccesary.

If it is PF then you can just buy arch supports and use them in your footwear. I saw a foot doctor and he told me what to buy.

I know MANY people who spend a lot of time standing on hard surfaces (nurses, manufacturing facility workers) and runners who have been afflicted with this. The arch supports work. They will hurt and feel weird at first and in a matter of weeks your pain will go away.

I have low arches and overpronate when running. I started using the supports about 6 years ago. I am 62 and still run 3 times/week and walk 5 times/week. Pain is GONE.

Healing the Heals

I have always found that the best methods to heal from sore heels or foot is by dipping my foot in Lukewarm water and add some salt which would reduce the sore feeling. Another method is taking a warm water bag and applying it on your feet or heels.

If it is PF you can heal it through arch supports in all shoes. I bought special slippers and flip flops so that every thing I have on my feet have an arch. And stretching every day. I do this every night before bed. I haven't had a problem in years now.

Back
Top Bottom