Help with cat issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I posted a couple years ago about a neighbor's cat that uses my front yard as a toilet stop. Of course, in the winter I don't have to deal with it but now it starts and is just a problem I don't want.

Is there anything that you know works to keep them from pooping in your yard. It is always in about a 12 x 12 foot area where it happens.

Any proven help would be appreciated.

I don't know if this would work or not, but I would try spraying some Bitter Apple in the area. Usually it is used to stop chewing, but if they walk on it, it will get on their paws and they end up tasting it, and hopefully associate it with the smell. I know in the house, it lasts a very long time on cords and definitely transfers to the hands years later when you touch those same cords. :sick:

Dogs, big dogs... Works for us. Enough said

I installed a motion sensing sprinkler to stop a raccoon from climbing the stairs to our deck. Seems to be working well so far. Not sure how well it works sensing smaller animals.

Is there an easy way to post a video?

I use motion sensor sprinklers to keep deer from eating my landscaping. Turns out it also keeps the cats out of the grand kids playground area I developed, including a sand box. Normally I had to cover the sandbox after they were done playing in it, but now I just have to turn off the water faucet while they play and remember to turn it back on. So yes, it's sensitive enough to detect a cat.

Mine are the ScareCrow Motion Activated Animal Repellent. Youtube videos exist that show it works on dogs, cats, even birds that were after some guy's Koi in a pond. You can daisy-chain them all to one single water source. I bought a long hose, then some hose ends. I cut the hose to lengths required and attached the hose ends as needed.

Thanks!! I will have to give the sprinkler thing a try.

I recommend cat6 over cat5. :LOL:

Seriously, another vote for the sprinkler. They can be really good.

Bear in mind that cats are creatures of habit, in this as in many other matters. That is why they keep returning to that one spot.

So, by using the sprinklers, you substitute one habit (ewww! It rains every time I try to use this bathroom I have claimed for myself!) for another (Ahh, here's my chosen bathroom spot).

Guess the neighbor thinks your yard is a convenient litter box.

A live trap and some cat food, then pick option:
  • Take the cat to the animal shelter,
  • Keep cat and return it after a reward is posted,
  • Once trapped terrorize the cat a LOT, spray with water, then release it

The neighbor won't have a clue, unless OP tells them. Your options would be cruel to them, as well as to the cat.

Dogs, big dogs... Works for us. Enough said

+1

Even though I had a few acres, I sometimes had issues with cats at my last house. But once I got another lab (lost previous one a year or so prior), no longer had cats venturing about. Guessing you don't want a dog though or you would likely already have one.

The neighbor won't have a clue, unless OP tells them. Your options would be cruel to them, as well as to the cat.

You are right, but when I had cats in the city, we kept them inside for a couple of reasons, like not bother neighbors, so they don't get killed by car, dog, etc..
I'm not sure the neighbor cares too much.

We would let our cats roam free on our island in the summer as there are no cars there.

I'm guessing OP has already talked to the neighbor about cat issue and they don't view it as their problem.

+1

Even though I had a few acres, I sometimes had issues with cats at my last house. But once I got another lab (lost previous one a year or so prior), no longer had cats venturing about. Guessing you don't want a dog though or you would likely already have one.

Maybe OP could take up dog sitting for extra cash and cat deterrent.

Thanks for the reminder of why I prefer the company of animals to the company of many, many people.

Thanks for the suggestions, but this exact issue was also discussed last year so we have decided to close the thread to stop potential dog and cat fights.

Thanks for understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom