Help with Selling Stock

TickTock

Full time employment: Posting here.
I'm a devout practicioner of MPT, EMT, AA, use low-cost MFs kind of guy, so I'm in unfamiliar territory here...​

DW used to work for a company, and has 19 shares of stock. (This is low-tech; it's a paper certificate!) When she left company, the shares were a couple of dollars apiece, not worth selling. Fast-forward to today. Company is now trading in the low $40s.​

I have an account with Vanguard, but it's all MFs, no individual stocks. As far as I know, I have no brokerage account there. Assuming DW wants to sell this stock, what's the lowest-price way for me to go about it?​

The lowest price way is probably to open an account with an ultra-low fee online brokerage and selling them for about $5. I would suggest that you call Vanguard and tell them you have the stock and they will set up a brokerage account that will let you sell them for about $25. You can then move the cash into your Vanguard accounts.

Your wife will have to sign the certificates and send them to Vanguard.

Lowest price way to get rid of this stock is to give it to charity. Call up your charity and they will tell you where to mail the stock certificate.

LOL!,

Not quite the question I asked - what is the cheapest way to sell the stock, not to get rid of it.

ticktock, of course i know that. But you are only talking about $800 or so. Not a bad amount to donate to your church, your local PBS or NPR station, the Red Cross, Salvation Army, World Vision, Habitat, Make-A-Wish, etc. And you won't have to figure out cost basis, etc.

I had some stocks (in the form of numerous paper certificates in the back of my socks drawer), that my mother bought for me back in the 1980's. In 2003, I took all the certificates down to the local ScottTrade office and they sold it for a very small fee. I think it was less than $10 though I could be wrong (call them and find out?). Quick and easy, too. It turned out that they were worth $16K.

I had paper shares of WM that I received for a graduation gift through a DRIP fund. I logged on to the company, found the company that manages these funds and followed their instructions for redeeming the certificates. Painless.

Back
Top Bottom