Hi from Israel! Looking for FIRE hobbies

cbc90

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi everyone,

It's great to be here. I've read a lot of threads and find each person here incredible.

I'm 32 and aiming to be financially independent within 10 years.

I come from a career in the military. During most of my 20s I'd spend hefty amount of money on travel, snowboarding abroad, scuba diving, surfing, etc.

I'm more than happy to be moving on to a more humble - and meaningful - lifestyle where nature, health and fitness, and personal relationships take priority over spending. However I'm struggling to find hobbies that fit into a FIRE lifestyle.

Did anyone go through a similar transition? Did you find a new hobby that fits into your own FIRE lifestyle?

Thank you.

Welcome to our forum! You'll find many ideas for hobbies, movies, daily life, and fitness. I am involved in our forest preserves as a volunteer. I get out in nature every day. We have a garden that produces lettuce, tomatoes, zucchini, beans, etc. We're involved with our family, local and abroad. Relatives in Italy we Skype with daily. And relatives who live close by.

There's much to learn so enjoy!

Boychik, you keep doing what you love but within your financial means.

I was lucky with my interests in bike touring, backpacking, basketball, softball, and ice hockey. Easy to find a game and not too expensive. Now, it is not easy to find a b-ball, baseball or hockey game where people appreciate my lack of skills, especially speed. I am still hoping to find a hockey game. But I have turned to pickleball. Smaller court and an older crowd. However, age is less important as the size of the court is easier to cover.

Bicycling is the one that has lasted the longest and provided the most pleasure. Israel has some rides so I expect they have some clubs. You may want to check biking out for fitness and touring.

In FIRE it was important for me to not to have to cut my expenses as I knew I'd miss the things I loved to do. I FIRE'd at 51 when I could ensure my pension/SS/savings could support the lifestyle I wanted to continue for the next 40 - 50 years.

I'm alway intrigued by people who FIRE and totally change their lifestyle and go on a minimal spending plan. I know I couldn't do it.

Think back to when you were a kid. What things did you want to do?

Think back to when you were a kid. What things did you want to do?

I played with model airplanes a lot. Still do.

That's a hobby that runs the price spectrum - there's no upper limit (think quarter-scale multi-engine turbine models) but the price of entry is small if you scratch build from plans, and every price point in between.

Retired or not, the hobbies you like at 32 might very likely be different in 10 years, as per your plan. And a lot of folks like to do stuff on the weekends as a hobby/escape while working, then retire, and find they aren't so interested in that thing anymore.

There are no FIRE lifestyle hobbies vs. non-fire, unless you mean a super-lean FIRE where you can't afford to do the things you like? That's not a FIRE I'd plan for.

...I'm struggling to find hobbies that fit into a FIRE lifestyle.
Welcome! Most on this board ensure that their desired FIRE lifestyle can be afforded by their accumulation [create your desired retirement budget, and save/invest 25X or more of your desired annual spending]. Most here aren't lean FIRE folks. Give up scuba diving to retire early? Never! :)

Welcome! Most on this board ensure that their desired FIRE lifestyle can be afforded by their accumulation [create your desired retirement budget, and save/invest 25X or more of your desired annual spending]. Most here aren't lean FIRE folks. Give up scuba diving to retire early? Never! :)

My fiance would like this crowd. She's onboard with FIRE, but still warming up to the idea.

As for me: I genuinely feel that I get little pleasure from these expensive "adventures" I used to take myself on.

I am much happier now settling, and engaging with my surroundings.

Some great ideas throughout this thread. Thank you all.

I recently get hook with Flight Simulator (MSFS2020). A bit costly to start, since you would need a hefty PC and GPU, yoke, throttle controllers etc...

A lots to learn but very satisfy experience.

Back
Top Bottom