Hi I am 55 ready to retire

Congrats! Let us know if you have any questions or would like any confirmation or advice!

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the welcome message!!

My current asset allocation is 4% Cash 26% BND, 49% VTI and 21% VXUS. I wanted to have a feedback if this allocation is reasonable.

Welcome aboard

The answer to your AA question depends upon a bunch of variables, including your risk tolerance and the need for your investments to generate returns to fund your life. Your investments look sound to me, for example, but another person could deem them to be inappropriate

We need more information, in other words.

Welcome! I am same age and hit my number over this past summer. What’s keeping you working? I ask myself that question every day and I don’t have a good answer ....except that I want to ride out the COVID thing with a paycheck.

In my case I am working from home, it is not a stressful work for me. I do a bit of reports and light programming. I can save most of my earnings. With the coronavirus there is nowhere to go. So I am waiting for the worst to be over. My plan is retire next year or so. I am secretly hoping that my company starts offering packages if they need to downsize. In what concerns my risk tolerance. I am very calm during financial storms and I tend to rebalance my portfolio when one of the assets deviates more than 5% off. My plan is to use a 2% withdrawal rate.

Welcome melijov, you have picked low cost funds and that is a great start. Your allocation is more aggressive than mine, but you are also 10 years younger.
If you can leave it alone when the market goes down, it might be right for you. You also may be taking more risk than needed if your stash is very large.

VW

My current asset allocation is 4% Cash 26% BND, 49% VTI and 21% VXUS. I wanted to have a feedback if this allocation is reasonable.
If your cash/bond investments represent at least three years of living expenses (which you could draw from during down markets), then I think you AA is good for your age and proximity to ER. Mine is similar, but I have VEA instead of VXUS, which I formerly held. I do hold less international, as it has been lagging US markets for several years, and has been a drag on overall performance.

Welcome! I am same age and hit my number over this past summer. What’s keeping you working? I ask myself that question every day and I don’t have a good answer ....except that I want to ride out the COVID thing with a paycheck.

This is me. Hit the number already. DW wants to go in fall of 2022. I have nothing better to do until then. Paycheck is easy money. Only [-]working[/-]getting paid for 32/wk. I have plenty of time to participate in my hobbies. Just signed up for a new one: driving ambulance for the local volunteer rescue squad.

Anyway, welcome and good luck. Lots of great info here.

Back
Top Bottom