Hi, I'm Saiad

Saiad

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi all, I've been reading a lot of /r/personalfinance and /r/financialindependence and /r/leanfire

Have been making a plan to stick to and will probably be posting / reading / browsing this site as much as possible (free time).

I'm 21 and I moved to Washington November ~23-24 one of those days, made the move with a very small amount ($500), have been thinking a lot about life and the general advice given to me about what i should do (invest in potential talent , etc etc) but that's the advice every on gives and really I just want to stop working before 30 so I'm still able to enjoy life (don't get me wrong, i enjoy every second of it and will enjoy it even while working towards that goal). I have a lot of good ideas floating through my head and i just jot them down and look into it but that's as far as I'm willing to invest in potential. I used free housing through couch surfer from the ~23 - December 2nd. Got a job as a Dishwasher (Access to food) $11/HR the 2nd and looked everywhere for the cheapest housing available near the work location, found a place a mile away for $300/M. Transportation and rent pretty much brought my balance from $500 to around ~8. Worked a week and joined early enough to get my first paycheck the next week , the 11th of December (bi-weekly basis).

Since then I've been living a very frugal life, my life before this was also a bit more frugal but i went from having ~10k saved up and around ~2-3k in checking to nothing so i wanted to start all over and get away from the comfort i was used to. I want to retire before at or before 30 and make enough money to support me after 30 so I don't ever have to look for work ever again because i can live without it. ~1.4k monthly from dish-washing, Right now I am making a plan to retire before 30 and am living extremely frugally, (paycheck -> 20% housing / 1.5% -> Food / 1.5% -> Groceries, 77% savings). Getting my emergency fund up for 6 months of support and after that I'm going to rush and make ~5.5k for a roth ira I'll be starting before the deadline ends with the help of a new job I'll be starting will put me at ~3k monthly,

I have no Debt / no car / no loans / no nada
Learning a lot about investing and financing, i wanted to start earlier but all the advice was to focus on talent / finding talent / but I know what I want to do in life and that's have a small place to myself, maybe a kid, maybe a wife, but i can live with just ~8k a year so I don't really need much to have a comfortable lifestyle.

Some more background -> I'm from Bangladesh originally, moved to the US for opportunities, life felt blank and without proper direction until around late 2015, like some crewmate on a ship, just following where the captain was taking me. Anyways, I'm glad to be here and i look forward to everything you have to teach me, thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

Last edited:
Congratulations on all you've done so far. A plan to reach Financial Independence in only 7 years seems very ambitious. Unless you can keep your expenses to near zero that seems like a lot to ask for your current income, even at a very high savings rate. Are you planning to gain additional skills and improve your income?

Congratulations on all you've done so far. A plan to reach Financial Independence in only 7 years seems very ambitious. Unless you can keep your expenses to near zero that seems like a lot to ask for your current income, even at a very high savings rate. Are you planning to gain additional skills and improve your income?

Have around 8-9. I have a good skillset,
from web-development (have done projects worth ~4k) which covers HTML5 , CSS3, Javascript
to not super advanced but just enough CPP.

Besides that I might go into an apprenticeship for construction soon, good money but hard job.

I want to start my own company with the littlest of funds (less than 5K) and see if I'm able to profit towards retirement for it. I want to go somewhere tropical, maybe I'll go back to Bangladesh if it's not covered in water, living expenses won't cost me more than ~3-4k a year over there... but if i live in the US still, I don't see my living costs being more than ~8-10k max.

Back
Top Bottom