Hobbies

OP is bored the same as restless? You could get a job to help fix that problem:popcorn:
No!! [emoji38] That would put it in a routine. Routines are hard.

Think I'll just relandscape the backyard after I get back from my cruise in a week. Time to figure out a yard that doesn't get watered. Desert-scaping. Maybe rocks. Then just letting hillside go completely native (it's 1/2 there anyway)

I'm building a yurt ('ger' in Mongolian) compound in the mountains of Mongolia. Simply living there is challenging and my full-time hobby. I was actively participating with the construction and I suppose I'm also the self-appointed architect/project manager.

However, a couple of weeks ago my herniated disc (L5/S1) flared up and I'm sidelined to just trying to manage the construction team, mostly made of my wife's family and friends. I'm having surgery next week so I'll be back on my feet shortly after, hopefully.

Learning about excavation, foundation techniques, materials etc has been very educational and a time consuming 'hobby'. I was always a DIY guy on my own homes, including major remodels, but this is a step beyond - building fresh on virgin land - and it's full-time not free-time.

When the yurts are done - we'll start with 3 - and I've had my microdiscectomy (June 21st - the longest day), I'm hoping to ride my 2-wheelers again. I've got a eMTB (electric mountain bike), an electric enduro bike, and a petrol adventure bike.

photo

In the future, we'll probably get some horses and do rides with friends, family and maybe some tourists. I'm keen on resurrecting my paragliding hobby. Possibly adding an electric motor so I can fly around the countryside a bit. This hobby is called PPG - Powered ParaGliding and it's the poor man's only choice of flying.

Fitness is unnecessary as a hobby since it comes with living in the mountains. Everything involves lifting heavy things.

photo

Drinking local beer while watching the sunset is one of my hobbies too https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10225471083875413&set=pob.1575290823

This reply is BY FAR my favorite of the bunch!!!

Write angry letters to the editor of the local paper

Chase kids off my lawn

Post here

Post on Next Door about suspicious people I see through the blinds.

This reply is BY FAR my favorite of the bunch!!!

Join a card game group. Take up fishing and or boating. Swim. Volunteer. Attend local community meetings and get involved with politics, etc. visit museums. Take a class. Learn dancing. Write articles.

Don't forget walking to the mailbox twice a day to see if you got anything.

Also: buttonholing neighbors who are out working in their yard, critiquing their work, and saying the political things which you have figured out are likeliest to annoy them.

Write angry letters to the editor of the local paper

Chase kids off my lawn

Post here

I need a hobby. Refinished all wood cupboards (kitchen & 3 bathrooms). Replaced 1/3 of floors. Ordered replacement furniture. Cruising every 4 months. Luncheon every weekend. Basketball on weekends. Dog park 3 times a week alternating with hiking. Music several times a month. And still bored.

What do you do?

We have also redecorated our new house and are waiting on new furniture (9 month wait). This is what we do:
1) We are very present in our grandkids lives. This is time consuming and tiring lol - but very rewarding
2) We ride our bikes - we bought a house near a 100 mile rail to trail on purpose
3) We walk our dog, and I signed up as a dog walker on Rover for fun - I get to walk and cuddle other people's dogs and get lots of steps
4) I am working through all our pictures, getting rid of duplicates on the computer and gradually scanning 7 boxes of older pictures. Our local library has a genealogy room with free scanning. I hope to complete this in 2022 and then keep up with pictures better.
5) Genealogy - I have over 2000 people in my family tree. This is fun, because one of my ancestors is William Bradford, and I have several who fought in the Revolutionary War and The Civil War, etc. I want to spend more time on this, maybe after I get through the pictures.
6) We have a Peloton and do strength and yoga classes, and ride inside when we don't ride outside
7) We do all our own yardwork and have a little garden
8) We take regular vacations - always planning the next one.
9) We explore Atlanta - we moved her last fall to be near the grandkids (and their parents). There are lots of things to do!
10) If we have time we are going to start playing pickleball
ADDING: I also read a lot of books, listen to podcasts and watch Youtube. DH fills the same time by playing an online game (on of the big war games).

Last edited:
Ham Radio is great until the HOA comes after you:LOL:

which is why we never have and never will live in an HOA. years ago my ham buddy (who lived under the thumb of an HOA) wired up the gutters of his home as an antenna and made contact with the intl station in Antarctia. today, there are ways to yak at other hams around the world using a small antenna (VHF/UHF and the internet). personally, i don't consider that to be real "radio" but a lot of hams enjoy it.

...Chase kids off my lawn

we had one of those while i was still working. mr. grouch called and. demanded we send a patrol car to one of thr local schools and chase the little hoodlums out of the neighborhood. their offense? playing baseball on, of all things, the ball field at the school.

Aviation. Build your own airplane.

I did it. You can too. It’s a lot of fun, and you’ll meet some incredible people…

https://www.eaa.org/eaa
https://zenithair.net/

- Pat

if you go that route be sure you have a lock (as in guarantee) the space you'll be building in will be available to you. my buddy bought a kit and was going to build it in a hanger he rented. then the owner of the hanger told him he couldn't build there, he either had to buy a plane or leave.

Share your expertise with young people. Go to Nepris, and help a teacher use your wide range of expertise to enhance education. All done via their zoom-like system. Rewarding.

Share your expertise with young people. Go to Nepris, and help a teacher use your wide range of expertise to enhance education. All done via their zoom-like system. Rewarding.

I've often thought this sort of option should be available to young people. It looks like the people they are looking for are working professionals and maybe not people who have retired from jobs for several years.

Built a boat, built and used telescopes, kayaking, hiking, camping,
doing consulting work. …. No days off!

Kayaking, figure skating, shooting the breeze at the coffee shop, T'ai Chi, JuJutsu, hanging out at my camp, Made a Sauna in an enclosed trailer, Argentine Tango, belly buton gazing, hanging out with GF, making annoying posts in the ER forums, fiddling with my camp's solar system.
Reading up on Near infrared, blue light effects, gravity measurements, solar storms, CO2 boondoggles, vaccination boondoogglles, water vapor greenhouse effects, collapse of world's transport system, China's money printing proclivities, .... and so on and so forth.

Last edited:
Fishing, boating, home improvement and maintenance, boat maintenance, motorcycles, reading, dog walking, astronomy, cooking and restaurants.

Pickleball 6x weekly, gardening, reading at Barnes & Noble, going to movies, car trips to anywhere, sometimes doing nothing at all.

I had a good laugh from that. The sad part is I think you live in a totally different state and yet that is half of the Nextdoor posts here, too. (Well, at least it is again now that mask wearing isn't mandatory.)

Aviation. Build your own airplane.

I did it. Built it in my garage. You can too. It’s a lot of fun, and you’ll meet some incredible people…

https://www.eaa.org/eaa
https://zenithair.net/

- Pat
Very nice, Pat. I have helped in several builds over the years. The notable two were a pair of Lancair IV's at Renton airport.
I did meet many very cool folks at that time.

Back
Top Bottom