Homepage on PC

gettingthere

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm looking for a simple, customizable homepage site for my initial homepage when logging on to the internet.

I currently use my.myway.com, which "came with" my Dell PC, but wonder if there is something better out there?

I'm hoping for something to display news headlines, selected stock prices, weather in several locations, a few customizable links, no annoying graphics, no or low ads, and of course, it's gotta be free!

Please let me know if any of you have a favorite one to suggest.

I am not web-page savvy, so have not considered trying to construct something for myself (I'm just a lowly mainframe COBOL maintenance programmer - AKA dinosaur :)).

igoogle is what I use, and I love it. Lots of themes, gadgets, places to check your mail, forums, add pictures from your picasa albums, cartoons, etc. Easy enough for even ME to use.
iGoogle

I am not web-page savvy, so have not considered trying to construct something for myself (I'm just a lowly mainframe COBOL maintenance programmer - AKA dinosaur :)).

I don't know of a good homepage (how about http://www.early-retirement.org ? :D Doesn't have all those features but it is fun, too.)

Y'know, HTML should be a walk in the park for someone with your programming skills!! It's soooooo simple and loads of fun.

Google, excite, yahoo, etc. all have layout features, allowing you to put selected news, sports, stock quotes, weather, etc. on your "home" page. Take your pick.

I have to thank the My Yahoo folks for forcing a format change on me, which made me decide to try something else out since I was going to have to learn a new look and feel anyhow.

iGoogle is way better.

Thanks Yahoo! ;)

Thanks, all - I guess I'll give google a shot.

W2R - I spend enough time hanging out & reading the posts here as it is - I don't need yet another excuse! ;) And maybe someday I'll try learning HTML - thanks for the encouragemant (but I'd really rather just go take a walk in the park).

Wow, that igoogle is awesome! Incredibly simple with tons of choices.

My Earthlink home page has gotten totally annoying with all the ads. I think I've found an excellent alternative.

Last edited:
I have two computers that remain on all the time and have these two websites as the "home" page:

Google News
The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia

The advantage to these two sites is they both automatically update every fifteen minutes or so. (The Google site is very "customizable.")

There are, of course, other sites -- that auto update -- which I have tried out in the past that are also worth considering, including:

Topix: Your town. Your news. Your take.
MarketWatch.com: Stock Market Quotes - Business News - Financial News
News, Travel, Weather, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, U.S. & World - USATODAY.com

In fact, as I pursue this, I realize that the list could quickly become endless.

Experiment... find your own path.

My home page is a blank page I keep on my hard drive, with just the minimal HTML, HEAD, and BODY start/end tags. One on computer I added a couple links of my most common pages, basically the highlights of my bookmarks.

My reason for doing this is that if I want to fire up a browser I don't waste time/bandwidth bringing up a page I don't want to see.

Just a comment: with iGoogle, you can have more than one home page, and can leave it on the 'smaller' one most of the time and switched to the 'larger one as desired.

Back
Top Bottom