How Do You Compare Dividend Payers?

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Suppose I have 3 different dividend paying securities. I want to compare which one of these would have done the best over the past 5 years.

I invest $100,000 in each one of these securities on July 23, 2018 and sell all shares on July 21, 2023. I DO NOT reinvest the dividends, instead I take the cash. Which one of these would perform the best? How did you get to your answers?

The three securities I'm using are:
DLN WisdomTree US Large Cap Dividend ETF
ARCC Ares Capital Corporation
HTGC Hercules Capital , Inc.

Portfolio visualizer can do that. You can turn off "reinvest dividends."

Hercules Capital was the clear winner for total return over that time frame.

How does PV compare to this simple calculation?
(Value as of 7/21/23 minus 100k + all dividends received ) / 100k

I use finviz to screen, remember to compare "apples to apples" not "apples to oranges".

Lots of different ways to evaluate stocks, value, growth, income etc.

Remember things like banks and REITs need to have more industry specific things with their evaluations like FFO for REITs, and bank stocks favor P/B ratio, CAR, RoA.

Depending on your individual risk factors, time horizon, and financial needs and goals, just be sure to carefully evaluate them.

FAGIX FIDO CAPITAL & INCOME
FTBFX FIDO TOTAL BOND

Not sure this is an Orange to Orange comparison but in May thru Dec I'm taking these dividends and using them... Been getting ~$1500/month from my Bond fund total amount , May 383K to July 390K, so even with not have extra shares amount total has gone up.... So 12K by end of year....

Plan to take my total market FSKAX in December too, Then I'm going to stop, don't need money just want to blow some....

Back
Top Bottom