How much will health/dental cost me?

Is this about high deductibles policies or is it just a rant?

are you posting to me. I am not ranting(i think). i just think based on mass. experience and what i know of obamacare high deductilbe policies will not be allowed.

i live in mass and am about to early retire. I would love a high deductible low premium policy.

the best i can do is 475 per month/2000 deductilbe/5000 co insurance.

i can cut deductible and co-insurance by paying higher premiums up front

Last edited:
I'm sure Gerry did not intend to spark intergenerational warfare or to bash poor people.

I'm sure it was my misunderstanding.

Let's see where we stand. Under the PPACA, HSA and high deductible policies will be available. This has been confirmed.

Very high deductible policies will not be available.

The other points on young vs old, subsidies, etc are really off topic for a health care thread.

Last edited:
I'm sure it was my misunderstanding.

Let's see where we stand. Under the PPACA, HSA and high deductible policies will be available. This has been confirmed.

Very high deductible policies will not be available.

The other points on young vs old, subsidies, etc are really off topic for a health care thread.

my question again is what is a high deductible policy. in mass 2500 max.

i think obamacare same way.

i looked at the original long post i wrote.

the quotes i used about poorer people being discouraged by high deductibles
is not from me.

In mass prior to romneycare we had only guaranteed issue.

a consumer group HCFA(health care for all) was advocating insurance for all.

the leader-it was JOHN Anderson(not sure of last name) said insurance with high deductibles was almost as bad as no insurance at all. he also said it had to cover everything-this is what legislature adopted

that is whom i was quoting

Policies will not be available until Oct of this year, so we will have to wait until then for details. Until then we can only base our estimates on HHS publications and other official pronouncements.

Thanks MichaelB for answering my question about HSAs/high deductible HI and the ACA. As someone in healthcare and who wants to retire before medicare eligibility, I am trying to assess whether this is even financially feasible. And I am working under the assumption that the ACA will at least slightly improve affordability AND insurability for me and many others on this forum who are in the same boat. Thanks.

Thanks MichaelB for answering my question about HSAs/high deductible HI and the ACA. As someone in healthcare and who wants to retire before medicare eligibility, I am trying to assess whether this is even financially feasible. And I am working under the assumption that the ACA will at least slightly improve affordability AND insurability for me and many others on this forum who are in the same boat. Thanks.

i have said several times-i live in mass. before Romneycare we had guaranteed issue.

an insurance company had to take you for an individual policy. it was sky high.

Romneycare DID bring down the cost-but not as much as you would think.

i have said several times-i live in mass. before Romneycare we had guaranteed issue.

an insurance company had to take you for an individual policy. it was sky high.

Romneycare DID bring down the cost-but not as much as you would think.

I don't understand why you keep on about this, apart from beating your political drum. The OP asked a good question, he is not in Mass, and the discussion should be about the PPACA, not what is or was available in Mass.

I have a question about the fundamentals of the act. I've looked at he calculators and reviewed several web sites and would like to make sure I understand the two following fundamentals:

1. there will be a monthly premium that depends on your income.

2. there is a max out of pocket that also depends on income.

Am i understanding the two parts correctly? Reason I'm asking is it seems too simple so I'm trying to figure out what I've missed.

1. there will be a monthly premium that depends on your income.
I think "depends" is too strong of a word as you've worded it. Rather, there is a subsidy which is dependent on your income if you're poor.

I think "depends" is too strong of a word as you've worded it. Rather, there is a subsidy which is dependent on your income if you're poor.

Let me reword. The premium is on a sliding scale. The amount you pay out if your own pocket is dependent on your income.

The part I most want to make sure I understand is he max out of pocket. In 2014, if one is covered by one of ACA plans and in a car accident that causes serious bodily harm, the most I would pay out of my pocket would be fixed based on my income. Is this correct?

Policies will not be available until Oct of this year, so we will have to wait until then for details. Until then we can only base our estimates on HHS publications and other official pronouncements.

Oct at the earliest. Today even some Sun AM news talk show pundits were openly questioning whether or not this date would be pushed back as some other ACA deadlines have been.

Let me reword. The premium is on a sliding scale. The amount you pay out if your own pocket is dependent on your income.

As I understand the current information, yes. The amount you pay for premiums and out of pocket is determined based on MAGI ( Modified Adjusted Gross Income ). You do not have to be poor to get the subsidy just low income, if to low you get medicaid. So they don't means test it ( yet ).

I don't understand why you keep on about this, apart from beating your political drum. The OP asked a good question, he is not in Mass, and the discussion should be about the PPACA, not what is or was available in Mass.

Many from both parties have pointed to 'Romneycare' as at least a (if not THE) blueprint for ACA. CMS (i.e. Sec Sebilius' office) is still writing reams of technical rules (and exemptions) for actual implementation. The MA experience is perhaps our best real-world evidence of how ACA might (MIGHT) unfold.

Though Massachusetts is pretty close to "already complaint" with ACA (according to my wife who is an ACA expert). There are some things that will change, but compared to most other states, the changes here will be noise.

Though Massachusetts is pretty close to "already complaint" with ACA (according to my wife who is an ACA expert). There are some things that will change, but compared to most other states, the changes here will be noise.

I was going to message you privately but I know others here have asked a similar question, so I'm asking it here......

What happens if you are married filing jointly but only one of you needs the PPACA insurance? Can you buy the subsidized insurance for just one of you? How is the MAGI treated if it's joint income?

Just so you know what I'm asking, our situation is that DH will have insurance through his retirement plan, but in a few years spouses will no longer be offered coverage. Our income is approximately 85% DH's pension and 15% my part time job that does not offer insurance. Our joint income would put us in the range of paying 8% -9.5% of income for the subsidized insurance.

So in 2014 we would both qualify for the subsidized insurance but DH does not need it.

How has this been handled in Mass? How will it be handled with PPACA? Would I pay half since I'm the only one that needs the insurance? Or will it be based on only half of our joint income?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I ran across this yesterday and number 4., paragraph 1, beginning with Under proposed regulations, nearly took my breath away.

Sue - it may be a good thing that they are phasing out family coverage (I guess).

Sue: Sorry but all I know is what my wife tells me (including that the Massachusetts system is just about compliant with the ACA already). I don't know the details myself.

Not much has been mentioned about dental care cost. I have been pretty fortunate so far, but if you are of the type that prefers to keep your teeth instead of having them pulled, you better build up some reserves. We have had several threads in the past about dental costs, and they can be outright astonishing in costs. Posts, implants, root canals, old fillings falling out...the list goes on. You should check some of them out. Me...well I floss twice daily and brush 3 times and hope like heck nothing happens to them because I am too vain, and don't want dentures...Though my tightwad dad preferred to pull them and wear dentures because it was cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom