How to learn an instrument from scratch?

I know several people who have started learning an instrument as adults. The successful ones all had teachers at least occasionally when they started out. The successful ones also all liked playing and did so quite a bit between lessons. If you call it "practice" it somehow seems harder to do it, but if you are just playing the instrument that you do in fact want to learn how to play, then you are likely to do it more. The more playing, the more success. Hope everyone around you likes lots of banjo, because they will be hearing a lot of it.

Also, after only a few weeks, you will know enough to play along (as a junior participant) in jams. Strongly encourage you to see if there are any beginner jams in your area. It connects you to other players and really helps get you jump started into adequate playing. Good community too. Be prepared for Banjo player jokes (all meant well, I'm sure).

Lots of good advice. Sounds like a used middle of the road instrument and a teacher are the way to go. Will probably pick up the dummies book as well. Thanks, guys.

People often laugh... but those dummies books are excellent overviews. It would be a great place to begin.

Also consider instruction video on DVD is a great cost effective way to receive instruction. You can buy them... but a better approach is to check out your local library. Our library has hundreds and hundreds of music instruction video on DVD... for example Play in the style of Jimmy Hendrix, ... every genre and style you can imagine.

I'm just starting trying to learn guitar.

Apparently you can learn
- notes, or
- chords, or
- tablature (tabs)

People tell me tabs are the best way to start playing riffs that "sound like a song". This helps avoid getting discouraged and dropping out.

So that's what I'm doing- I'm so proud I can now play the beginning of "Smoke on the Water"........

Our library has hundreds and hundreds of music instruction video on DVD... for example Play in the style of Jimmy Hendrix...

No sweat...

First, play a right-handed Strat left-handed, through a bunch of Marshall amps cranked to eleven. Next, make sounds never before made by a guitar.

Maybe top it off with some weed and acid... O0

Hendrix primary influence/style was blues.

Apparently you can learn
- notes, or
- chords, or
- tablature (tabs)

People tell me tabs are the best way to start playing riffs that "sound like a song". This helps avoid getting discouraged and dropping out.

So that's what I'm doing- I'm so proud I can now play the beginning of "Smoke on the Water"........

doing lessons or DVDs or internet instruction? I just purchased a $35 guitar new in the box, so I'm ready to learn :D

Apparently you can learn
- notes, or
- chords, or
- tablature (tabs)

"Smoke mari-jua-na..." :D

I recommend learning chords first, and getting proficient at changing chords fast enough to play a song. I don't know how many times someone has picked up a guitar, you know, around the campfire, and played the first few measures of Smoke On The Water or Stairway To Heaven...

Over and over... :p

Back
Top Bottom