How to move from spousal SS benefit to my account

ERsoonihope

Dryer sheet aficionado
I’m one of the lucky ones who was able to claim a 50% spousal benefit when my wife began SS at age 65. Now I’m turning 70 in two months and need to figure out how to end the spousal benefit and commence claiming on my account.

I’m having a difficult time finding any info at social-security.gov regarding how I end to spousal benefit and start my age 70 benefit.

Anyone done this? Anywhere you can point me (including any threads here if this has been discussed already)?

Just go online and apply. That's what I did last year. Only took 10 days to approval.

yes, do another application on line, your first application was for a restricted benefit, now you just do a regular benefit and key in the month you turn 70 for your starting date.

I did that last year via a phone call to my local SS office.

I also had the 50% spousal SS. As others have said just apply for your own benefit. Social Security will figure it out.

Just go online, as someone mentioned. Make sure to check their calculations when you get your determination letter. They were off on mine and I sent an appeal prior to the start so it got fixed right away.

Same situation here, and I wasn't certain about it so I set up a phone appointment. They called exactly when they were supposed to, and it was handled perfectly in short order.

My DW just applied for her SS at age 62, I am nearing 67 & am waiting till 70 to claim my SS.

Can I claim spousal benefits after DW gets her SS ?

Thanks

My DW just applied for her SS at age 62, I am nearing 67 & am waiting till 70 to claim my SS.

Can I claim spousal benefits after DW gets her SS ?

Thanks

No. That option went away a few years. The rules now state that when you file you are deemed to be filing for the greatest amount you qualify for. So if your own benefit is higher now than your spousal amount, you will receive your own benefit.

Thankyou, that confirms my understanding.

The question arose when I saw the posts above for the spousal benefits.

Thankyou, that confirms my understanding.

The question arose when I saw the posts above for the spousal benefits.

Well some of us were old enough to take advantage of this since are just turning 70 this year [emoji3]

My wife and I were both born in 1953 so I filed for spousal benefits when my wife reached her full retirement age and filed for her benefit. I have now applied for my own benefits online. My question is; When can my wife file for spousal on my record. My birthday is in July and hers is in May. Does she have to wait until I am approved, or after I have received my benefit, or anytime after I have filed? I want to maximize what she can draw this year.

My wife and I were both born in 1953 so I filed for spousal benefits when my wife reached her full retirement age and filed for her benefit. I have now applied for my own benefits online. My question is; When can my wife file for spousal on my record. My birthday is in July and hers is in May. Does she have to wait until I am approved, or after I have received my benefit, or anytime after I have filed? I want to maximize what she can draw this year.

She can file now but won't be approved until you are approved.

Original poster here —- so I filed for my benefit and received acknowledgement from social security on April 8 saying my application was received and I should be acted on in 2 to 4 weeks. We’re approaching 7 weeks now. Should I be concerned or is this just the way it goes? I’m not in crisis for the money and I assume if it is delayed the payment catches up sooner or later. Anyone with current experience on how long it takes?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom