How to sell art & get the most $ for it?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have quite a bit of artwork by local artists that cost maybe from $100-500 when I purchased it 20-40 years ago. Now I don't need it anymore, and have no idea what to do with it. Too good to throw away, and all in great condition.
Yes, there is ebay, estate or garage sales and taking it to an auction house where I will get zip for it. But is there some unexplored avenue here for selling artwork you no longer want that will give me a bit more money than sellling it the stated ways? Any suggestions welcome for sure.:confused:

Maybe a local gallery on consignment? That way you wouldn't have to "give it away" and you may get some insight as to current value - especially if they are local artists!

Great idea and thanks! Never even thought of that one. Only problem I might see is finding a local gallery that sells on consignment around this area of 400,000. Amazing what an area this big doesn't have, tho. Give me a major metro anyday... But love your idea!

Most of our local art galleries do take work from local artists on consignment, they just don't advertise that fact. Call around and say what you have.

Will do as I could find nothing on the net for this area suggesting consignment of art--other than a few funky old household consignment places.

Will do as I could find nothing on the net for this area suggesting consignment of art--other than a few funky old household consignment places.
Aren't you near Chicago? I'm sure there are art galleries that sell paintings there. (I don't mean the public art galleries, but the type of store that sells original artwork.) If they sell original paintings, they have to get them from somewhere, right? They probably buy them from the original artists on consignment even if they don't say so.

No, I am 3 hours away from Chicago on the Iowa border. And there is nothing here but some gambling boats, which, by the way, are kicking sweet booty. Other than that, this area is d-e-a-d.
When I said local artists, I meant they are the local artists of the area they were purchased in. Like some are Canadian artists, some Chicago and so forth. Nobody with a big name at this time, anyway, and probably never, really. Just nice oil paintings is all.

No, I am 3 hours away from Chicago on the Iowa border. And there is nothing here but some gambling boats, which, by the way, are kicking sweet booty. Other than that, this area is d-e-a-d.
Oh.... wow, that's totally different! For some reason I thought you were in Chicago. Oops! :duh:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom