How to turn down recruiters with FIRE in sight?

Ignore them. If you're getting recruiters contacting you now, they'll contact you later. Don't worry about angering them with a no-reply. 1) They follow the money. If you can be placed, they'll forget that you blew then off 12 months ago; 2) The turn-over is extremely high for most agencies. Dustin Recruiter, who would be at home at a used car lot and can't even spell your name correctly, will be gone in a year. 3) Their emails are generally blast emails, sent to many recipients at once.

As far as the no-job stigma, that depends on the field. In software currently, recruiters/employers haven't batted a eye when they learn about a 2 month employment gap (most, in fact, are jealous of the time off).

Always keep the door slightly open and be polite. This way they are checking in with you on a regular bases on what is available for your skill set.

"I am currently booked on a gig that is scheduled to end approx (pick a date 3-6 six months out). I would be interested in hearing about any future gigs that may fit my skill set. Thanks for thinking of me."

That is exactly what the whores say.

One of the good things about recruiting (I was in that field for years) is that you develop a very thick skin. It is preparation for all sorts of unpleasantness, including being called crude names by strangers on the internet. :)

To the OP, just tell them you are not interested, or ignore the inquiry entirely. Recruiters get ignored 99 times for every 1 interested party. No big deal. They are looking for a needle in a haystack. They no that being ignored means no, or at least "not right now."

SIS

Ok this might sound hypocritical, but I've come across an opportunity that is a good fit and would allow me to live overseas, a lifelong goal of mine. The pay (salary + expat package) would be significant and give me a substantial RE cushion and I could travel to many places in the region that I would never go to otherwise.

I was contacted via email by the external recruiter and internal recruiter on the same day, with the external contacting me about four hours before the internal. These were obviously email blasts; not personalized beyond my name. Question: who should I reply to, the external or the internal? I've dealt with the external guy in the past; he's an industry expert, "aw shucks" type with low/no sleaze factor.

I know there are pros and cons of each, but under these facts what should I do? I'm inclined to contact the external, let him know I've also been contacted by the internal, and ask for his thoughts. thanks

Last edited:
I was contacted via email by the external recruiter and internal recruiter on the same day, with the external contacting me about four hours before the internal. These were obviously email blasts; not personalized beyond my name.

Is the overseas opportunity through the internal or external recruiter?

In my experience, recruiters usually do not "email blast" you and have most often sent a short (but clearly directed to me) message to gauge interest / asking to setup a time to talk.

I would considered these two to be low probability of panning out but I don't see any harm in following-up on both.

Is the overseas opportunity through the internal or external recruiter?

In my experience, recruiters usually do not "email blast" you and have most often sent a short (but clearly directed to me) message to gauge interest / asking to setup a time to talk.

I would considered these two to be low probability of panning out but I don't see any harm in following-up on both.
My take would be NOT to follow up on both because that might put the hiring company in a more difficult situation, arguing with the recuriter whether the fee should or should not be paid.

If you put yourself in the position of the hiring company, that might give you the perspective to make the best decision. You probably realize that the fewer bumps in the road for the hiring company, the better. And you also probably realize that a "trivial wrinkle" can become a showstopper for your job application because, lets face it, it's being handled by a bureaucracy.

If the recruiter can offer real value (like maybe you know the salary will be negotiated and you're a bad negotiator), then yes. Otherwise, I'd go directly.

My take would be NOT to follow up on both because that might put the hiring company in a more difficult situation, arguing with the recuriter whether the fee should or should not be paid.

Ah I see. For some reason I was thinking these were two separate opportunities (an internal assignment overseas vs external with a different company). Totally agree.

Important to not close doors... just in case...
Better to keep the possibilites open.
After making a decision to not accept a position for I was well qualified, and then, after reconsidering and deciding to make a career change...
The position was no longer open... The corporation had decided to eliminate it.

So now... regretfully... am hoping for some help in finding employment in my field of choice, and expertise... Does anyone know of openings for an accomplished greeter?
Willing to move for the right opportunity. :(

Why not just be honest?

I am working on an interesting project right now and I want to complete it before I move on. The project will wrap up in 18-20 months.

First, the response above is best I read so far...

second, why not look to higher income, and get FIRE in a shorter time, or try to create more opportunities for yourself?

Go direct. Maybe save the internal guy a few bucks on not using a recruiter and negotiate yourself a higher pay package.

Ok this might sound hypocritical, but I've come across an opportunity that is a good fit and would allow me to live overseas, a lifelong goal of mine. The pay (salary + expat package) would be significant and give me a substantial RE cushion and I could travel to many places in the region that I would never go to otherwise.

The company has to pay the recruiter if they hire someone through them, so if you deal direct with the company, then they might be more apt to negotiate without the recruiter fee. Since they both contacted you at practically the same time, and you hadn't replied yet to either one, I would say just deal with the company directly.

However, in order to keep your options open, a day after replying to the company, I would reply to the recruiter, and tell them that you were actually already talking to the same company, but to let you know if they knew of any other similar opportunities...which would let you have something to compare the other company's offer (if they end up making you one).

As far as taking the offer to live somewhere else and travel to places you wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to go - to me, you have already answered your question. What could the downside be, unless it's in a warzone? Start looking for apartments!

Just make sure you negotiate a decent relocation package that would pay for a few things to ship to your new place, since you're obviously making such a "sacrifice" by going to live in another country. ;)

I would not go direct. I have dealt with management recruiters the past-both as a client and as a customer.

IF you are dealing with a good recruiter vs someone just trying to 'turn a trick', that recruiter should be able to give you some good third party insights into the hiring organization. Especially if he/she has placed people with that organization in the past.

I would not worry about the 'fee'. When I was hiring the only interest we had was getting the right person. The cost of getting the wrong person was far greater than the search fee.

Also, the recruiter may be aware of other similar situations that you may not be, or situations that although no yet open, will be in the near future.

Over the years I was contacted by recruiters several times. Some of them took great trouble to do a good job......for the company that hired them. Others, not so much. For example, I was invited to look at a high profile job at a prestigious university where they sometimes have challenges recruiting because of cultural issues and modest salaries. The recruiter shared with me the fact that they had clearly identified a preference for an alumnus/a of their own university. Since I wasn't, I figured that I would have a huge credibility hump to overcome even if I were the only candidate. Having no desire to work in such an organization, I withdrew immediately and asked the recruiter not to waste my time.

I would not worry about the 'fee'. When I was hiring the only interest we had was getting the right person. The cost of getting the wrong person was far greater than the search fee.
I've heard of situations where the recruiter's fee turned into a signing bonus if the applicant came in directly. Could be a point to negotiate!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom