How was 2018?

Huge plus: paid off mortgage and am now totally debt free!

Huge plus: feel much more confident in negotiating for a sabbatical/furlough from mega-corps. This will be the start of semi-retirement for me.

Plus: didn’t get any fatter in 2018.

Plus: after decades of coasting along in minimum wage jobs, DW is now angling for management. If she makes it, I’ll be FIREd. I know some forum members strongly object to considering oneself FIREd if a spouse is still toiling, but I don’t care.

Negative: another year older and dumber (not fatter) and closer to death.

It was generally a good year. Have our health. Our adult son is doing ok.

Had horrible weather in the Northeast. Constant rain since spring -even raining right now in January! At home- a lot of unexpected expenses- things breaking at home and so forth to the tune of $6000. Had a tornado come through in May with a long power outage and loss of internet- trees down on our property and blocking our driveway, etc. Was stressful.

But then we had some nice drive-to vacations- a Home Away rental on a lake and our 3 weeks of timeshares and a nice few days at an inn for the holidays while visiting our son who lives out of state.

Then- my employer was sold to a bad management company and I suffered with the BS for 7 months from a sociopath manager until I couldn't take it anymore and quit in Sept.I had 3 more years to go to age 65. Had to adjust to the loss of income and have been whittling away at our budget to make it work. Good thing we are frugal for the most part and lead simple lives.

Husband is still working right now so I am essentially leading a homemaker type life here in rural NY in the woods.Very secluded. But I can be alone for long periods of time, so I am ok. No family or friends really here- though a lot on Facebook! LOL! Keeps me busy with conversation and connected to others.

My husband will be 65 in April. He cannot retire for SS until 66- but I will need health insurance after that so not sure what we will do. We also are hoping to sell our home in another year or two and not sure how that will go because we want to move out of state but need the money from the sale of our house to get something else. Plus the house has not appreciated much even with all the improvements we have made due to a poor market here and where we are moving the homes/condos are expensive. Have no pensions, etc. so I am really nervous about how we will handle this financially, mentally and physically.This weighs on my mind daily.

After a few weeks after "retiring", wouldn't you know something happened to my leg (doc does not know why- but I got a bakers cyst) to the point where I was limping and so I have been struggling a bit with that- PT, etc., but it seems to be getting better a little at a time. It is baffling because I always have exercised every day and have very strong legs- though I have gained weight-and I didn't fall or get hot or anything like that. Sigh....

Anyway- I am hoping for another- if not better- year in 2019.

Not a good year for my family members. My mom's dementia got so bad that I had to move her into an assistant living place. My dad's health took a deep dive and may face the inevitable soon. My the other younger brother passed away due to cancer.

The good news was that my golf game has been the best ever as my health is.

Another year gone by.

My first post.:cool:
May I will become as accomplished as many of you.

2018 was another year closer to the big R. Turned 54 planning on R in 2023/24, maybe earlier :dance:.

The finances remained constant, end of year squeezed out many of the gains achieved in beginning of the year :mad:.

Short answer: Best year that I can remember in recent memory. Celebrated 2 years FIRE'ed last Friday.

I closed the year having walked/hiked 428 miles with our dogs. I celebrated 10 years as a cancer survivor in November. My racquetball game is as good as it has been in the last 10 years or so (been playing for 42 years). At least when I am playing, I don’t feel like a 56 year old (the next morning though, a different story). At my age, I think I am doing pretty good.
Another great experience in 2018 was my growing fondness for cooking. Every Friday night I cook a meal that I have never made before, and even buy a bottle of wine that we have never had. I tell people that I like to cook, but I love to eat! And I know my wife enjoys it at least as much as I do.

It is just amazing how much I got to do in one year. Took one 3300 mile trip with the RV Trailer to the midwest and back to visit friends. Norwegian cruise in March to the Caribbean. Maybe 5-6 3 to 4 day weekend RV trips to great spots in New England. A long weekend trip to CA in Sept to drive vintage cars. My hope for 2019 is that it is at least as good as 2018! Already planning/plotting some great travel, and some new adventures.

On the downside, DW got RIF'ed just before Thanksgiving. She was on track to work 2.5 more years. She did get a decent severance package however, and is in a good position to get a new job with similar pay.

Hope everyone else had a great 2018.....

Not a good year for my family members. My mom's dementia got so bad that I had to move her into an assistant living place. My dad's health took a deep dive and may face the inevitable soon. My the other younger brother passed away due to cancer.

The good news was that my golf game has been the best ever as my health is.

I am sorry to hear of your parents' health challenges.

My condolences on the loss of your brother.

I wish you and your family a healthy and peaceful 2019.

Update

The year 2018 held a series of completely unexpected health issues and related expenses. <snip>

Now

Tomorrow marks the 3-month anniversary of the end of chemo. I will see my medical oncologist for a routine follow up tomorrow, but have no reason to expect any bad news. And my hair is finally growing back!!! <snip>

I did see my oncologist on 1/3 for the 3-month checkup, and I got the "all clear." :dance: :dance: :dance:

That's great news, Calico!

Wonderful! What a joy, and what a relief to get such great news from your oncologist. :dance::D:clap:

Thank you! I have been smiling ever since (even in my sleep!) :LOL::LOL:

2018 was awesome. 2nd year in ER and finished a 2 year project fully remodeling the house interior and patio. Got back into biking and rowing, and 8 lbs away from my college fit weight. Never thought I'd see that again! Looking forward to 2019, which currently, no commitments, and the horizon is only held back by lack of imaginagation. Work is a faint memory, but now able to think back fondly how lucky DW and I were to have a secure, good paying jobs.

Money wise, after 2 years, staying within budget, and market swings have little impact to our day to day lifestyle. We just initiated DW pension/company health insurance, which is another financial security milestone. All in all, loving retirement.

The year started horribly with my DIL needing to have a tennis ball sized tumor wrapped around her brain stem removed. No one in our state could do the complicated surgery. Their insurance only covered our state. They quickly moved to the state with the best doctors and then qualified for ACA insurance in that state. Many side effects can occur with this surgery but thankfully she had none and they were able to remove 95% of the tumor. Now she is back to work and fully recovered except for getting very tired. We added 2 more young Maltese and one died 5 weeks later of a rare disease caused by the rabies shot. We didn’t lose any friends which was great. I am ready for a better new year.

Thoroughly enjoyed my first year of retirement in 2018. I took lots of road trips to national parks, mountain resort towns, and to visit siblings. And I have several trips planned this spring. The only problem is that I’m starting to get sciatica after a few hours of driving. So additional exercises needed to add to my current lengthy list.

I started a diet/exercise regimen and lost about 40 lbs. My fasting blood sugar is down to an acceptable range but I have more weight to lose. My last couple of working years, I was getting 3-4 bad colds a year. I had one small cold in 2018. However I’m a night owl and ended up with an erratic sleep schedule from staying up late. Woke up too early and ended up having to take long naps. I am starting 2019 going to bed at a consistent time.

I organized files and photo albums and decluttered my house some but this is a continuing task. My goal is to get my house ready to sell later this year and then relocate. This will be a big project but I wanted to take it easy my first year of retirement in 2018.

Money wise, 2018 was not so great. I lost 5-6% mostly due to international equities. Still delaying SS but trying to decide if taking it this year would be a good idea. There is no significant advantage to my delaying SS except to be less market dependent.

My brother and a good friend retired in 2018 and some others are planning to retire this year which is exciting. I’m looking forward to spending more time with them and hearing about their retirement plans and adventures.

2018 was a good year health wise. Health is one of the most important things we have. Our RV got broke into and we spent 4 months (all summer) without it while it was getting fixed. When we did get it fixed we got to go out camping 2 times before the winter.

Sister got colon cancer. Good news is that it was a stage one. She did surgery and chemo and just finished on 1/10/19. Seems like she is good to go.

DF is still alive and kicking after we thought he wouldn't make it last Jan.

Didn't get to do too much traveling last year, but look forward to planning a few trips this year.

DD and DDL purchased a house from hell and we have been helping them since September by being their babysitters with contractors. Still on going.

$ down a bit. All in all, life is good and we can always complain, but thankful to have my DH, my health and stability.

Life is good.

Sorry for all of you who have had health issues and loved ones die this year. Enjoy each moment of each day for we don't know when it will be our last.

Happy New Year to you all.

I had a great year in 2018 and so did DH. Kids and grandkids are happy and healthy. One of our granddaughters graduated from high school and started college. So proud of her. My Mom is doing well and my Dad is hanging in there (dementia I think). I have 3 sibs in town so we are able to help and support them for now.

With a lot of hard work and $$ we finished our back yard reno and new pool. Can't wait to fully enjoy it this year.

It was my last year in my 50's, I am looking forward to turning 60 next month.

Thanks for asking!

2018 took a big hit to our travel budget. First, we traveled like 5 times to see our granddaughter over the year. We took a trip to Las Vegas, realizing it’s not part of our lifestyle. Next, we had a family vacation in Hawaii, which DW has wanted for years. After we got back, there was local special flyer for a small ship cruise. It turned out to be the best trip ever. We then went to Wisconsin to move our youngest as he finished his PhD in chemistry (we drove his car to the west coast as he had to wrap up projects). We were able to stop at Mt. Rushmore, Wall Drugs and visit friends who moved to Montana. A nephew was getting married in California, so we included a trip to Disneyland with the granddaughter. We finished the year with the last granddaughter trip spent around Christmas.

House projects included remodeling our main bathroom and replacing a woodstove and hearth with a pelletstove and smaller hearth. So now all major projects are done. The only things left to do in 2019 and beyond are room painting and carpet replacement (no structural changes). So, for the most part, a good year.

Back
Top Bottom