HS Art sub

LeatherneckPA

Recycles dryer sheets
WHAT A DIFFERENCE between high school kids and middle school! Night and day would be an understatement.

The teacher on the other hand was not someone I'd choose to follow. Totally disorganized, desk in complete disarray, no lesson plan, no attendance chart, no seating chart, and no indication what the kids were supposed to be working on. We are talking the Oscar Madison of teachers here.

And the best part of all, there is a ground breaking program at this school, at least for our area. They have a culinary arts program that actually runs a faculty restaurant. Second best cream of potato soup I've ever had. And the kids do everything; planning the menu, creating and printing it, cooking, serving, busing, cashier, cleaning. And if I had known ahead of time, the seafood salad looked magnificent. All I could get was a bowl of soup and a cheeseburger with chips. For $4. A great opportunity for the kids too.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE between high school kids and middle school! Night and day would be an understatement.

The teacher on the other hand was not someone I'd choose to follow. Totally disorganized, desk in complete disarray, no lesson plan, no attendance chart, no seating chart, and no indication what the kids were supposed to be working on. We are talking the Oscar Madison of teachers here.

And the best part of all, there is a ground breaking program at this school, at least for our area. They have a culinary arts program that actually runs a faculty restaurant. Second best cream of potato soup I've ever had. And the kids do everything; planning the menu, creating and printing it, cooking, serving, busing, cashier, cleaning. And if I had known ahead of time, the seafood salad looked magnificent. All I could get was a bowl of soup and a cheeseburger with chips. For $4. A great opportunity for the kids too.

Those are the sub jobs you want, art class at the HS Home Ec at the High School, even my subject Physical Education. Health class well that becomes a dumping ground for the day when you sub for that. Middle school is well the pits. Elementary school you have to be on the entire time, I teach pe at 3 different elementary schools now and its nothing like the high school PE I taught for the past 20 years. Much more fun though, the kids show up and seem to be shot out of a cannon. Energy+++++.

But keep a stiff upper lip when you sub and just be yourself. Most of the kids have awful male role models, They will get to know you and you will become someone they will look for on a daily basis. Is mr leatherneck subbing today?? seriously, be the teacher they want to see. Then teach them whatever is left in the sub plans and if none are there adlib. You went to HS College and spent time in the Marines. You can do anything!

Being a sub- hmmm

I've been outside the USA since really 1977, except for one year in 1984-85 whan I taught high school science in San Antonio, and before 1977 when I was also teaching science in San Antonio. My 37 years of teaching science only includes 5 years in the States and that was mostly in the 1970's.

In my semi-retirement I want to sub also. Am I in for something really difficult? I am excited about being able to go to school and go home without any lesson preps, but I am a bit nervous about the war stories concerning substitute teachers and students.

Regards,
Rob

Rob, my experience is REALLY limited. Two days in one school so far. Once as 7th grade English and once as HS art. IMHO, there was a world of difference between the two. I came away from 7th grade feeling I had been a total failure, but the teacher e-mailed to let me know she was very satisfied with the results. The day in art was basically baby-sitting. And as long as they didn't too loud or rowdy I didn't worry about what they did.

My 2¢, go for it. Sub a few days and then decide if it's what you want to do. Or maybe just limit what you will sub for. I have since been told that many of the subs for this district won't take middle school slots.

MIke:

How did you get into the subbing thing? Is it locally by the school district or did you sign up with an agency?

Hey Leatherneck what's the going rate for subing. I'm sure you have answered it but I can not find it. Enjoy your post. I thought of teaching as a second career after I Leave Corporate America (LCA)..

citrine, in PA all you need is a 4 yr degree. And it doesn't have to be in Ed. I attended a week of classes at what they call an "Intermediate Unit". they handle most of the Special Ed programs in our four county area. After completing the class you are also put on the list for school districts that you select. ETA: Start by asking a couple of teachers in your area how they get subs, or calling your local school's office.

StJohnsWood, the pay sucks. Most of the schools around here pay $89 a day, before taxes. The Williamsport city schools pay $109 a day, but that's because they can't get anyone to come in. It's only a city of 50,000 people, but a large number of those are inner city families from Philly and Pitt who are here for the drug rehab centers. The IU pays $109 a day also, but again you are dealing with either Special Ed cases or delinquents.

This is NOT a racket you get into for the money. You have to actually like[/b] to teach.

Hello this morning mr newguy we have a 5th grade student for you today he is new his name is Chris, he is autistic and also has an IQ of 53 and BITES! We know you can handle him.

If you have any problems call.

53IQ and BITES I can handle. Heck, that's what I do now. But that autistic part I don't know about. and I do mean, I don't know anything about. Time to Google. Let me know how it turned out. Since BITES was in upper case I'm assuming you found out the hard way?

53IQ and BITES I can handle. Heck, that's what I do now. But that autistic part I don't know about. and I do mean, I don't know anything about. Time to Google. Let me know how it turned out. Since BITES was in upper case I'm assuming you found out the hard way?

Oh he is one big baby. But he needs constant attention during the gym class. I make them run early on and tire the little dudes out. It works.

Back
Top Bottom