HSA Contribution in 2023 for year 2022 - Will this complicate tax filing?

G-Man

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hello,

Does contributing to your HSA in 2023 for year 2022 complicate tax filing? I have not done this before. I have always contributed to my HSA in the current year.

I use TurboTax today. Would I need to do anything difference if I contributed in 2023 for year 2022?

It's easy. When you transfer the funds you'll be asked which tax year it is for. I always wait until I am finishing up my taxes (when working to make sure I didn't go over since I had some contributions through my employer and and paid in to the max).

It's easy. When you transfer the funds you'll be asked which tax year it is for. I always wait until I am finishing up my taxes (when working to make sure I didn't go over since I had some contributions through my employer and and paid in to the max).

Typically, the HSA amount that was contributed in 2022 is on the W2 form and I just enter the information in TurboTax. I assume I do the same for the contribution made in 2023 for year 2022.

Typically, the HSA amount that was contributed in 2022 is on the W2 form and I just enter the information in TurboTax. I assume I do the same for the contribution made in 2023 for year 2022.

It wouldn't be, because your employer's W-2 is probably just through 12/31/2022. They'd have no way of knowing if you made a 2022 contribution in, say, March 2023.

If you made a March 2023 contribution for 2022 (probably directly to your HSA, I doubt your employer would do it through payroll), you'd need to put that additional amount in as a contribution on line 2 of Form 8889. You'll have to know the amount and put it in to your tax software manually, probably on some HSA or Form 8889 screen. You won't get a tax form for that contribution until May 2023 on a 5498-HSA, and that form will include both your employer W-2 contributions and your direct March 2023 contribution. Unless you file an extension or amendment, Form 5498-HSA will arrive too late for you to use it in completing your taxes.

As an aside, you should (almost) never enter your employer HSA contributions on to Form 8889. Those are (almost always) already subtracted from your box 1 wages on your W-2 from your employer, so you have already received the tax benefit that way. Entering them on Form 8889 would double count. They're shown in box 12 with code W.

Back
Top Bottom