I have a Will and might die intestate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but only AFTER your death.

He will not get access unless I give it during my life. Are you referring to a "springing" trust which comes into fruition only when mental incapacity or death manifests? - David

Last edited by a moderator:
Well but they don't need access while you are alive. . .

And the mortuary will notify Social Security you are dead so the bank will know. . .

You know badatmath, you really are bad at math. In your verbiage one plus one does not equal two. "So the bank will know" is simply not true and is a false conclusion. - David

Last edited by a moderator:
Have already tried the POD route. Bank will accept individual but NOT charity or non profit. Sometimes what SOUNDS like a simple reply is not going to work.
Find a different bank or set up and fund a revocable trust with you as the grantor, trustee and beneficiary and have the trust document name the bank's trust department as the successor trustee and instruct the successor trustee to transfer the assets to a named beneficiary upon your death or to liquidate the assets and transfer the proceeds to the beneficiary upon your death.

ETA: No disrespect, but from the attitude that you have displayed in some of your replies on this thread it is clear why you have no friends. Check your attitude at the door and chill a bit. People are just trying to help you.

Last edited:
You plan on dying in your home, a nursing home, or hospital etc. Give your wishes and instruction to that party and they can contact the bank or charity and they can take care of it from there. When you die, you aren't going to care any way.

Keep your will and directions with you at all times and the state will take care of things from there.

At the very least consider filing your will at your county's courthouse. Perhaps you could also file a healthcare directive with your provider or the local hospital that would likely be in charge of your care. A durable power of attorney form is good to have too, though it sounds like you're not sure who could fill that role.

As others have mentioned, it's probably a good idea to connect with a lawyer to get the details worked out. Do your best, then don't worry too much about it. No doubt many people die each day with no will and no one named to take care of things, but as street said, things get taken care of.

Last edited:
You are right to be paranoid, wills do not fully protect you from what could happen to your assets before you die or in the probate process. But at some point you will need to trust someone or some professional or some institution. Sure, everyone says you don't need to give anyone access while you are alive, but reality is that at some point there is risk you could enter a medical state in which you cannot handle your own affairs. And there needs to be a plan for what happens in that situation. I liked the idea of contacting the charity, they usually have trust type structures for situations similar to yours, though I doubt would be revocable (but I'm no expert).

David,

You might want to reconsider posting your full name. Mods, can he edit or one of you remove his full name for him?

I've worked for non-profit for a bit. They do have departments dedicated to accepting donations. They take care of everything if you name them as beneficiary. They had lawyers, etc. If you were a big donor you were invited to events, online or in person. If you didn't make it to one of the events they would follow up to see how you were doing, etc.

Many banks or brokerages will accept you naming a charity as POD beneficiary. You need to find one and just stick with it.

If you really want everything to go to DWB then contact them directly now and they will guide you on how to set things up properly for them to receive once you are gone.

Wish you the best. :flowers:

After you get your process together with DwB, if you want to set a trigger to let them know you have kicked you may be able to send them an email. In Gmail, you can set a legacy policy to notify people and/or take other actions after a period of inactivity. It would get triggered after you died but also after inactivity if you were incapacitated. But you could politely tell DwB that "now would be a good time to check in on me".

OP: intended or not, many of your replies to suggestions come across as sarcastic at best, to borderline hostile. There is a "Thanks" button on bottom of every reply; in the future , consider using this button while you decide whether to heed or ignore the particular suggestion.
To your original question, my lay opinion is you'll have to find an estate attorney you can trust, pay a relatively small retainer, and have him/her execute the Will.

Being a lone wolf is fine, but we all need someone at some time in our lives. I understand how difficult and real this is not just for you but for many others.

You have been given some real good advice and yes, a charity of your choice have people that deal with these things. They have access to legal counsel and things can be done to your wishes.

I do wish you the best and that you find someone that will make your wishes go full cycle.

Will Schwab or Fidelity allow you to name a charity as a beneficiary to your accounts. If so, open an account with check writing privileges and you’ll probably get a better interest rate in their money market funds.
Whatever you do, DO NOT put your will in your safe deposit box!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom