I seem to be living above my means again...

Have you heard if YNAB? It is software that actually works for budgeting your priorities and does not just track your money like Quicken does. It made a HUGE difference for us. They have a free trial.

It may be time to restate your financial goals. If "living" now is more important than retiring early, then you're probably doing what you want to with your additional money. As long as you're not cutting back on saving, you're probably okay. If you REALLY want to retire early, your gut will tell you what needs to be cut back to save even more.

So glad you have a daughter that cares about your financial situation. A very precious person indeed. Good luck and keep us posted.

So, I'm a little financially frustrated with myself.

I started a new job about 14 months ago where I effectively doubled my income. I have no debt except for a mortgage, have a rental property, two pensions, and lots of 401k savings...
……..
I guess I'm looking for some admonishment, encouragement, and similar experiences / advice to get back on the right track. I'm 44 if that makes any difference. Oh yeah, I'm in Tampa, haven't lived in Fort Lauderdale for 8 years (I need to update my signature).

Thanks!

Just remember this: The Man giveth, and The Man can taketh away! Save it for a rainy day. Or up your 401k contributions.

Last edited:
Pay off the mortgage, then you can really do whatever you want.

Pay off debt. Save a bunch. Spend the rest.

Back
Top Bottom