Iceland advice?

Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We are going to Iceland in late May for 10 days. So far I have air tickets taken care of. The plan is to rent a car and drive around to see some of the sights. If anyone has been we could use advice/suggestions on car rental, drive destinations, reasonable places to stay, food, etc.

I purchased a Lonely Planet book but it has so much info that it is overwhelming.

Cheers!

I stayed in an Airbnb place in Reykjavik last August- hotel prices had gotten crazy and I loved having an apartment instead. Food is expensive; another good reason to have a kitchen.

I highly recommend this excursion to Greenland at about $600 pp if you're agile. I was on this trip when they made the video although I'm just seen in group scenes off in the distance. BTW, it takes off from Reykjavik Airport near downtown; I walked back to my apartment and was home 45 minutes after landing.

I enjoyed the "Haunted Reykjavik" tour and the Maritime Museum. I also went to the geothermal pool; $10/trip if you don't buy a multi-day ticket but I loved doing something the locals all do. They tell me that people are still clustered around the edge of the hot tub (which is the same temp as the pool, heated by underground volcanic activity) in the winter, talking while snow falls on their hair. Another excursion: Inside the Volcano. They let you down into a hollow volcano by hydraulic lift- amazing mix of rocks and minerals. Link at insidethevolcano.com . Great country; this was actually my second visit.

Last edited:
Take plenty of $. The place is terribly expensive. My cousin was a Marine embassy guard there and he loved the place. When they hitchhiked to town, the people would also take them back to the base later at night. The millenials do some serious drinking, foo.

Take plenty of $. The place is terribly expensive.

Generally speaking, things are noticeably more expensive there than in Europe, but restaurant dining is very much more expensive. Fantastic place though, and you'll find some highly unusual foods on offer. Try anything but the fermented shark.

We had a most enjoyable few days there in 2014, and we'll be spending a week there in August. All the tourist stuff is easily reachable with your rental car. One little tip I learned is that car rentals are cheaper in the city than at the airport, but if you turn it in at the airport when you leave, there is a charge that negates the difference. So you might as well get it at the airport as well.

You'll find unattended gas stations, so be sure you have at least one good chip and pin card, preferably both Visa and Master. You can pay for everything with a card, right down to a hot dog at the sidewalk stand, so no need to exchange much money.

Practically everyone speaks good English. Delightful people. If you can, try to avoid the crowds at the major tourist spots by going either early in the morning or late in the afternoon.

There is a route that circles the island; ten days should be ample to make that drive. There are not a lot of roads, so getting around without getting lost is pretty easy. Take a good map. A GPS is nice, too.

There is a guy that does a "free" walking tour in downtown Reykjavik. Pay what you like at the end. It's very worthwhile.

Do not miss Jokulsaron on the SE coast.

We stayed in AirBnB apartments, which we prefer to cookie-cutter motels. The car we rented was just an econobox grocery-getter, but for some areas and roads they recommend a 4WD. So choice of vehicle depends on your plans.

May will not be warm and there is plenty of wind. Plan to dress in layers and include a good wind-breaker type jacket. Terrain is uneven. Definitely not a place for flip-flops or other wimpy footwear.

Have fun!

TMay will not be warm and there is plenty of wind. Plan to dress in layers and include a good wind-breaker type jacket. Terrain is uneven. Definitely not a place for flip-flops or other wimpy footwear.

Definitely true, but don't let that stop you.
I've been there in January and although it can get very cold and windy (I experienced a chill factor of -55°F one day), it's still beautiful, the people are still friendly, and it's still an unforgettable experience.

... You'll find unattended gas stations, so be sure you have at least one good chip and pin card, preferably both Visa and Master. ...
Ah, yes. Also, there is NOT a gas station on every corner. We spent a very nervous hour one morning looking for a gas station with the needle in the "E" range. From that point, I fueled at every opportunity unless I had at least a half tank.

Loved Iceland. Memorable things in no particular order included

- drive around the ring road where you witness so many different landscapes
- the public pools where the locals go
- Local (kind of home made) steam bath from one of the geysers (don't remember exactly where it is but on a bad weather day some locals suggested it would be nice to be indoors)
- Horseback riding on Icelandic horses along the coast. They are unique to Iceland, small and given their gait , trotting is not very bouncy.
- A walk around Reykjavik to view the street art.
- If the Phallic Museum is still open, it is one of a kind. Might even still be looking for donations:).
- As others have said, bring your wallet. And if the days are long, eye shades might help.

+1 on the public pools. Very enjoyable even if it is 50 outside. Several hot tubs of varying temperatures and the regularpool is very warm.
Don’t do the ring road if you have less than ten days.
Read up on the different areas and decide your region based on forecast if you don’t have much time, we elected Akureyri and Húsavík due to weather. Reykjavik had 40 and horizontal rain whereas we had 60-70 up north at the same time.
Avoid golden circle if you can, the same but better attractions can be viewed elsewhere without the crowds.
We were there for five days in 2016 and loved it. We did whale watching and diamond circle up north, thingvellir and a geyser near Reykjavik.

Thank you for the great info. We will have 8 days in Iceland. Some important questions are: 1. is there a favored car rental co. and would gas or diesel be preferred? Any special kind of insurance we will need? Do I need a debt card or can a credit card be used at non-attended gas stations? 2. Looking for modest but clean places to stay in May. Should we bring our sleeping bags? Should we start making arrangements for lodging or is it easy to find lodging as we drive? 3. Where do you exchange currency. I am guessing that most of the cash will be for food costs if car rental and lodging is paid by credit card.

We will be taking the Ring Road. Are there any recommended places to stay - Airbnb, cabins, hotels, etc. and any towns that are good places to stay?

Thank you again for all your help.

Last edited:
For currency, use ATMs, such as in the airport. Don't overdo it. Most everyone takes credit or debit cards. If you don't have a chip-and-PIN card, I'd suggest avoiding unattended gas stations, but most of the stations have a convenience store attached. Again I will recommend the blog posts at iheartreykjavik.net

Thank you for the great info. We will have 8 days in Iceland. Some important questions are: 1. is there a favored car rental co. and would gas or diesel be preferred? Any special kind of insurance we will need? Do I need a debt card or can a credit card be used at non-attended gas stations? 2. Looking for modest but clean places to stay in May. Should we bring our sleeping bags? Should we start making arrangements for lodging or is it easy to find lodging as we drive? 3. Where do you exchange currency. I am guessing that most of the cash will be for food costs if car rental and lodging is paid by credit card.

We will be taking the Ring Road. Are there any recommended places to stay - Airbnb, cabins, hotels, etc. and any towns that are good places to stay?

Thank you again for all your help.
Tourism is a fast growing economic activity in Iceland. Something like 1.5M tourists/year visiting 330,000 natives (!) As a result I would not go without booking accommodations ahead of time. Using AirBnB you can see various cancellation policies; if you can stick to ones that give you some flexibility (like 24 hours ahead to cancel) that is probably your best option. AFIK all AirBnB hosts include bedding, so almost certainly no on the sleeping bags if you go AirBnB. Hostels? I have no idea.

Be sure to carry at least two credit cards and, ideally, one or two debit cards for ATMs. Notify the card companies ahead of time with your itinerary. Fraud software can and will shut down your cards if it gets suspicious and trying to call back to the USA company is a PITA. Look for cards that have no foreign transaction fees and that rebate ATM fees (like Schwab Bank).

Consider signing up for Google Project FI to get local phone capability (in 135+ countries!) or bring a GSM-compatible phone and buy a local SIM card. By far the hardest thing we have found with AirBnB is connecting with hosts to get keys or access codes. Discuss this in detail with each host before you leave.

I would select overnight cities based on activities that interest you. Whale watching, etc.

We used sixt car rental, paid extra for wind/sand insurance we did not opt for the gravel insurance. The winds on the south coast can whip the sand quite well and do a good number on the paint job of the rental car.
A 4wd suv is good to have, but most interior roads are still impassable in the end of May.
Gas station business hours is nowhere near as long as they are in the us, so I would highly recommend a debit card with chip and pin.
We camped, so I can’t give you any recommendation for lodging. Akureyri’s campground was very nice and clean with a very nice view.

Sorry, no help on driving or camping- haven't done either in Iceland.

I agree with OldShooter on getting a phone up and running. I had a 5g iPhone and bought a SIM card on the flight coming over; switched it out with the one I had (Ting is my provider) and suddenly I had an Icelandic phone number. Easy-peasy. It was a lifesaver when the shuttle from the airport dropped me off at one of the standard hotel stops near the apartment and it was too dark to read the map I'd brought to find the apartment (flight landed at 11 PM); I fired up Google Maps. I also saved the rear end of a friend who arrived a few days later; he had only e-mail on W-Fi, his phone was dying and he couldn't reach his Airbnb owner. I was able to call the guy, get info about where the key was and relay it to my friend.

I think we rented a front wheel drive car for the ring road in June/July. It was years ago and can't remember the insurance we purchased. We did get stuck in the mud once. A local came along and without a word, hooked up a chain and pulled us out. Apparently getting stuck in the mud is a common problem. I would rent a car that does better in the mud than just front wheel drive.

We stayed in places that offered linen. But, camping was fun with perhaps the cleanest camp grounds and restrooms that we have experienced. (We've camped in the US, Mexico and along the N. Sea bicycle route). If you do camp, bring some extra rope to hold down the tent. The strongest wind I experienced was at a campground at the foot of a glacier. The only thing holding down the tent was the three of us.

Can't remember any problems with credit cards or types of petrol I am sure the rental company will tell you about the petrol. I do remember that some (if not all) of the service stations have free high pressure water hoses to clean the mud off the car. Ask or take a look around the station if you need to clean your car.

We have had great luck with T-Mobile. We enter a country and our phone gets free texting. For calls, it is $0.20 per minute. A small price to pay for setting up reservations or getting important calls from home. We get this service as part of our regular monthly fees.

Enjoy

Some tips:
Bring some power bars and snacks from home. Food is pricey!
Bring waterproof pants.
Free walking tour in Rekyvick was great.
Public pools were a highlight.
For a splurge, stay at the Silica Hotel for a day or two. Blue Lagoon included in price.

I saw a Youtube channel on Iceland. Food is absurdly expensive. Don't know how people survive there.

I saw a Youtube channel on Iceland. Food is absurdly expensive. Don't know how people survive there.

That's why you see so many horses there......steak on the hoof.

That's why you see so many horses there......steak on the hoof.

Horse isn't that cheap, either. Last August a restaurant on the main drag advertised a horsemeat steak with baked potato and salad for the equivalent of $36. No, I did NOT try it. A jar of flavored salt said on the label that it was good as a seasoning for horsemeat, among other foods.

So- don't go to Iceland for the food, other than the fresh seafood. I've been there twice and may go back again after I visit a few other destinations on my list. Every country has some things that are far more interesting or beautiful than at home and some things that fall short. That's how travel works.

No, I did NOT try it.
I've knowingly eaten it a couple times, at events put on by KLM in Toronto in the late 1960s. Unknowingly? ¿Quién sabe?

I have also knowingly eaten a lot of Wildebeest, some Giraffe, Zebra, Cape Buff, et al.

So- don't go to Iceland for the food, other than the fresh seafood. I've been there twice and may go back again after I visit a few other destinations on my list. Every country has some things that are far more interesting or beautiful than at home and some things that fall short. That's how travel works.

We don't go anywhere for the food.....enjoyed the short time we were in Iceland, but am in no hurry to return........as you say, there are interesting things out there in the world.

"Onward & outward" is our motto.

We used icelandtravel.is and booked a 10 day driving tour. We had a little trouble with wrong GPS coordinates once which was interesting. Lot's of gravel roads. Many hotels were small guest houses, but they all served a good sized breakfast, which was a big help. We brought granola bars and several pounds of mixed nuts. Between that and hotdogs at N1 gas stations we got by for lunch. Eating out was painfully expensive in many places, so we sought out cheap places and didn't worry about veggies that week. Also, we brought net head covers and a hat for hiking near some of the lakes, especially Lake Myvatn. There are a lot of midges sometimes.

Favorites:
Myvatn Nature Baths
Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon
The Icelandic turf house museum
Hiking to see many waterfalls and gorgeous country.
Sheep everywhere.
The VikingSushi boat tour (we did that on our own)

http://hiticeland.com/iceland/the-vikingsushi-adventure-boat-tour

Each part of the country has unique features. We went to Myvatn Nature Baths instead of the Blue Lagoon. It was a bit cheaper.

Food in Iceland was expensive, but not absurdly so. What IS expensive is alcohol, purchased anywhere but at the airport's duty-free store.

Back
Top Bottom