Id, Ego, Super-Ego

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Just because...

Memories of Psych 1 and the science as it was in the early 1950's. Made a big impression, as we were still in the era of Freud, and B.F. Skinner. Now, not so much.

But, the subject of Id, Ego and Super-Ego still has great appeal, especially in the area of self understanding.

“O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!"

Maybe dangerous ground, but IMHO, the most successful (and happy) individuals have knowingly or unknowingly discovered the secret.

Not to get too serious, but give this "quiz" a shot... It purports to help discover the inner self. YMMV :cool:

Are You Driven By Your ID, Ego, Or Superego? | Playbuzz

I'm driven by my ego.

Yep, ego also. We might have a trend.

FN

Sorry...Super Ego. I have a strong sense of right or wrong and a strong moral fiber :)

However, I clicked on the chocolate cupcake. That was wrong! So this poll may be biased

Superego.

"You have strong mentors in your life, whether they are peers or parental figures, and you aspire to make them proud. Your Superego is all about having a strong conscience and principles that guide you ever step of the way.

For as long as you can remember you've always had a sense of what was right and wrong. Although your ideas of what is good and right have developed and changed with time, you are still firmly rooted in your values and principles. You have trouble with people who indulge excessively in their physical needs, and you turn instead to philosophy, spirituality, and culture to guide you. Keep your strong values and you can grow to be a leader in your own right!"

Yeah, that fits.

Sorry...Super Ego. I have a strong sense of right or wrong and a strong moral fiber :)

However, I clicked on the chocolate cupcake. That was wrong! So this poll may be biased

I have a hard time with gray areas, it is either black or white, right or wrong.

I took the quiz but can't relate to the outcome. In my world there are 4 phychic driving forces - id, ego, superego, and DW. No need for details, but one of those has absolute power over the others. :)

Superego.

"You have strong mentors in your life, whether they are peers or parental figures, and you aspire to make them proud. Your Superego is all about having a strong conscience and principles that guide you ever step of the way.

For as long as you can remember you've always had a sense of what was right and wrong. Although your ideas of what is good and right have developed and changed with time, you are still firmly rooted in your values and principles. You have trouble with people who indulge excessively in their physical needs, and you turn instead to philosophy, spirituality, and culture to guide you. Keep your strong values and you can grow to be a leader in your own right!"

Yeah, that fits.

+ 1 :blush:

Superego.

Yeah, that fits.

yup

Superego, I could stay forever in senior hood. I'm the most confident and at peace here. Although right and wrong turning into a grey area. To be non judgmental, it will be a grey area. I know what's right for me but not for anyone else. Like when is a crime, truly a crime? I'm not sure. The 2008 housing crisis, near collapse of our entire financial system because of greed...Giant crime, to big to be specific as to who's at fault. A child from a broken home, no parental guidance who becomes street smart and gets into street crime, big grey area.

When I learned about this is psychology class years ago I really thought it was bunk. Years later, I had an employee go off his meds and change from the sweetest, most friendly guy into an absolute monster right before my eyes (we were traveling together away from the home location). There is really a thin veneer between the the most base instincts in us and the persona we project in our daily lives. :nonono:

Superego. It's a nuisance but that's how it is.

Super Ego also.

But I clicked on the salmon meal because it looked more nutritious.

However, that may have been influenced because within a half hour ago I finished a bowl of chocolate chip raspberry ice cream so I wasn't really hungry.

Superego.

Yeah, that fits.

+1. Superego here too.

Never took any Psych class nor read Freud, so I have to look up what this is all about. From Wikipedia:

According to this Freudian model of the psyche, the id is the set of uncoordinated instinctual trends; the super-ego plays the critical and moralizing role; and the ego is the organized, realistic part that mediates between the desires of the id and the super-ego.

Yeah you can sorta look at it via the 3 stages of life;

Id - Child - I want it, I want it now, gimme that, feed me

Ego - Adult - Responsible to one's self, does what he wants to do

Super Ego - Parent - Responsible for reining in wanton wants of child, says no a lot, knows what's best for everyone

Nice quiz.

My result is Id, which actually is much to my surprise.

I would have thought ego or superego before Id.

So, the day at w*rk, when I said, "Take this j*b and shove it!", must have been channeling my Id :cool:.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom