I'd hate to die at the office, but if I did...

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
... I'd want to be a Google employee.

Here's What Happens To Google Employees When They Die - Forbes
Should a U.S. Googler pass away while under the employ of the 14-year old search giant, their surviving spouse or domestic partner will receive a check for 50% of their salary every year for the next decade. Even more surprising, a Google spokesperson confirms that there’s “no tenure requirement” for this benefit, meaning most of their 34 thousand Google employees qualify.
The case-by-case do-goodery was formally implemented in 2011. In addition to the 10-year pay package, surviving spouses will see all stocks vested immediately and any children will receive a $1,000 monthly payment from the company until they reach the age of 19 (or 23 if the child is a full-time student).
Of course the downside of this perk is that you're a Google employee who's worth far more to your family dead than alive.

Darn! I never heard my brother saying anything about this. But then, he left Google in 2010, while this was implemented in 2011.

Wonder if it would have made him change his decision. Being a late starter, he has young children. I am not going to bring this up when I see him of course, and just wait to see if he knows.

Of course the downside of this perk is that you're a Google employee who's worth far more to your family dead than alive.

No, I think the downside is that you are a Google employee period....

I do not think they have a good work/life balance, at least that is what I hear...

I have read stories about the work/life balance over there, too. If you are young and not married...that's OK to live your life at work. I think the brightest do just that, because it's their thing and calling. Might as well forget about marriage and kids since your work is your life.

I'm old school and need a balance. And I have too many other interests/callings. It's called "A Real Life". Working for the Feds...If I died in the office, or in the woods for that matter...my spouse would get 50% of my salary as an annuity as part of my benefit package.

I think what is being touted is no big deal. A big deal would be a yearly bonus in the thousands, a good health care plan, and lots of vacation time.

For me, being dead diminishes the value of whatever happens after.:LOL:

Enjoy it while it lasts. Remember when IBM and a host of other companies offered generous salaries & benefits and lifetime employment, at least many of them are still around. Wang Laboratories offered similar employment perks & seeming guarantees and Dr. Wang was on the cover of many business magazines, the whole company essentially disappeared in the 90's. Eventually competition brings companies back down to earth, despite the best of intentions toward employees...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom