ID issue with Ally Bank

Dtail

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I manage my parents' investments.
I recently moved about 400k in monies over to Ally from Fidelity a few months ago. Some in their high yield savings, some in their no penalty CD's and some in a 18 month CD.

The issue is I moved these monies as a joint account owner and I don't recall and can't find any of the ID information that one needs in order to identify oneself to Ally. Screwed up there.
I wish to move their savings into a no penalty CD, but if I use my login, then it automatically defaults to myself as the primary owner, but I don't want that setup as it is their interest and I manage MAGI.

There is no way that my parents will be able to guess at the answers of ID.
I could close the accounts and reopen them with my father as the Primary owner, but then I would lose the no penalty 1.90% rate and the 18 month 2% rate, which one can't get now.

What action can I take?

Trying to clarify the issue:

Basically you forgot the ID to the account.

It seems if one simply forgot the password, it can be reset knowing other info and having the cell phone.

Yes forgot the ID/password. Yes perhaps that's the way. Will give it a try.

Edit - but I don't know the login either, besides not knowing the password.
I basically set up an account for my parents with me as a joint owner, but without any of their involvement (I have power of attorney and all the rights).

Last edited:
Say you forgot login and notice should go to email.

Say you forgot login and notice should go to email.

The Ally online response for not remembering a username is to call them. Just having the SS # is not enough.

Knowing the ID is key.
could it be an email for them ?

I would spend a few days thinking about it, looking over various computer files as I fill out a text file when creating a new account, so maybe you did the same but in an unusual place or saved with unexpected name.

The Ally online response for not remembering a username is to call them. Just having the SS # is not enough.

So call them and "be" your parent. Tell them you forgot the ID. You have the SS#, you know the name and dob, you know the address, ...

So call them and "be" your parent. Tell them you forgot the ID. You have the SS#, you know the name and dob, you know the address, ...

I thought of that and pulled that off a few times for other situations in arguing bills, etc.
I guess they would have to believe that I forgot the ID, Password, mothers maiden name and secret question.
My mother has an androgynous name, so that has worked in the past and my father could theoretically be her brother for example.
Hopefully won't get caught up with mothers maiden name, not that they know but after my almost fake CD debacle, I don't give out any real mothers name anymore. Should be able to talk that through too.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom