If only the world was like hiking...

We only do day hikes. Because of that, people do not need to relieve themselves, and we are spared of the "scary TP sight".
I've seen a surprising amount of crappy TP, or just plain piles, on the trails in the Great Smokies national park, mostly on trails less than 7 miles in length that are very much populated by day hikers. Granted, this is usually just beyond the typical turn back point (usually about 3 miles) where there's a waterfall, so the crap point is usually only from pass-throughs or hardy day hikers.

I've hiked parts of the AT, PCT, CDT, and several dozen other trails across the US and I have not yet seen human feces or toilet paper from other hikers. But I very seldom leave the trail. I suspect (and hope) that those who relieve themselves do so a ways off trail and bury it.

I've hiked parts of the AT, PCT, CDT, and several dozen other trails across the US and I have not yet seen human feces or toilet paper from other hikers. But I very seldom leave the trail. I suspect (and hope) that those who relieve themselves do so a ways off trail and bury it.

Campgrounds and tent sites are notorious. Watch where you pitch your tent [emoji90]

^^^ Another reason I have never camped in tent. Motorhome for me.

What I've seen a few times in the Great Smokies is people with their legs on the trail and their butt just off the trail. Well, at least forensically that's what I imagine. I.e. the TP and stuff is just off on the trail side. Lots of trail areas are cut out from the mountainside so there can be miles without any decent off-trail excursion possibilities.

Back
Top Bottom