Ignoring users

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never used the ignore function. I can't remember reading any posts that bothered me to the point where I didn't want to read any more posts by the poster.

While I enjoy this forum I have learned to keep things in perspective. I read subjects that interest me and I bow out when some go awry (shiny car) because they lost their way. I make sure I don't vent after several cocktails for sure. I have several hot button subjects but I've learned to be selective and diplomatic in my responses. Have been spanked once by the moderators and understand the spanking and why my loving parents used the spoon on me.

I am always very guarded about forums and social media and how it can get away from its intended meaning. This forum does about a good a job as anyone could expect.

That being said there are a but*load of "A" type people here and we're all geniuses so it hard to corral the dogs sometimes. This has been an interesting thread.

I find this whole ignore topic is kind of interesting, as part of human nature. I've never put anyone on ignore, but I've got my reasons, and I don't consider myself 'superior' in any way for that. Part of what I come here for is to have my ideas challenged, so yes I will challenge others when I think they are trying to pronounce that 2 + 2 = 5, or 'everyone must' do xyz.

But others come here for other reasons, and they may find debating certain topics aggravating, or simply have zero interest in it. So the ignore button might be the right thing for them. It's not one size fits all. Even if I kind of think of using ignore as 'sticking your head in the sand', maybe it is just this forum, or this topic - it doesn't mean the poster is that way in everything. And if they are, well, it's their life, their decision.

I recall, a long time poster who is seldom seen anymore, was really getting preachy about this 'ignore' feature. He was asking for the ignore lists to be published with counts, so others could see who was being ignored and by how many. That really struck me as middle-school-clique-ish. I mean really, a grown adult needs validation on what they think of others, they can't decide for themselves?

OTOH, and I think it was mentioned earlier, it could be useful for each of us to see who has us on ignore. I'd imagine it would be pretty clear in most cases, but if it was someone that you never thought you had any conflict with, you might wonder if it was a misunderstanding, and want to straighten it out . I doubt the software supports that, so just a thought.

I think at one time, I may have been being a bit aggressive in defending a certain point, one of the mods said something to me about having a long list of 'ignores'. To be honest, I really don't care. Like I said, I like a debate, and I try to be polite, and use facts/figures, but I've found that some people "just can't handle the Truth!", or simply don't like to engage in debate. If a poster doesn't want to hear my side, fine, put me on ignore. I'm not going to change and agree that 2 + 2 = 5, just to make you feel good. It just isn't in my nature, I'll happily live with the consequences.

And even the posters that I might sometimes clash with on some subjects and maybe get to the point they are aggravating me, if they post asking for help, and I can offer it, I do. I don't hold a grudge. I don't see any reason to treat someone differently just because we disagree in one area. I guess that's another reason I don't use ignore.

This thread would have been a lot shorter if the OP had simply asked about the ignore function, w/o all the judgemental implications. I'll keep an open mind, but I think that short post spoke volumes about the poster.

OK, this got too long, I bet most people who can see it, will skip it! :)

-ERD50

IThis thread would have been a lot shorter if the OP had simply asked about the ignore function, w/o all the judgemental implications. I'll keep an open mind, but I think that short post spoke volumes about the poster. -ERD50

I made the post, and the description of why I was asking to clarify, why I was asking. A lot of the responses have been judgemental (just as you have said to me), and what is very interesting to me as a newcomer is that those that have done so, are well known apparently, as I have had some Thanks and PM's of support. Interesting that those that support feel the need to do so in private, perhaps to avoid the retribution?

I accept the criticism of my original post. I accept that you have now judged me for that post, just as I judged some of the others in other threads, and jumped to judgement of you from the quote above.

What is also interesting is how long this thread has gotten, and how strongly some feel about the topic. Self reflection is good, both ways.

One of the things that I might suggest to some is the ignore thread option (I think it is an option)... usually it is certain people in certain threads that some come across as preachy.... otherwise they can have some really good thoughts...

Me, I kinda get tired of a thread and no not to go back to it... I have missed some interesting threads by scanning the titles and it not clicking in my mind but ran across it weeks, sometimes months, later and say to myself 'how did I miss that one'...

At the end of reading what I want to read I almost always go to quick links and mark all forums read... next search only pulls up threads that have something new....

If someone tends toward heating his engine, as I too often do, this board can be pretty good practice at staying relaxed. And it is free!!

Ha

Interesting that those that support feel the need to do so in private, perhaps to avoid the retribution?

This statement, as well as your opening post, are very troll-like. Almost as if you are trying to get a reaction. Kinda sad...IMO.

That's OK. I appreciate the forum and all the opportunities to learn from so many much more knowledgeable than I.

Last edited:
Self reflection is good, both ways.

What does the above mean? Are there two good ways to self-reflect? Do they have names? Is more than one way necessary? Do the two ways sometimes compete with one another causing chaos within a person's psyche? Can it be harmful to self-reflect two different ways at the same time? After finishing one way of self-reflection, how long should a person wait before starting the second way of self-reflection?

What does the above mean? Are there two good ways to self-reflect? Do they have names? Is more than one way necessary? Do the two ways sometimes compete with one another causing chaos within a person's psyche? Can it be harmful to self-reflect two different ways at the same time? After finishing one way of self-reflection, how long should a person wait before starting the second way of self-reflection?

Meaning both parties, but somehow I don't think that escaped you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom