I'm ready to start stocking up on guns and canned goods here in Minnesota

Hamlet

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So far, the government shutdown has been pretty painless, but I see no indication that there is going to be a resolution.

We've elected a Republican legislature that has drawn a line in the sand that they will not spend more than x, and a Democratic governor that will not spend less than y, and neither is going to move an inch from here.

In theory, they both feel they have a "mandate" from the people.

In practice, the people of Minnesota were barely listening when they voted, or they wouldn't have been stupid enough to lock us into this sure disaster.

My wife bet me that it would be over within a month. I think that I am a lock to win that bet. In fact, if something dramatic doesn't change, I suspect that this will go until we have another election.

So can anyone recommend a good shotgun for home defense, assuming that the user is not experienced with firearms? :cool:

12 guage Benelli. High quality.

Enjoy the shutdown. Has anyone even noticed?

The stuff deemed "critical" is still being funded, so it hasn't gotten too bad yet. A lot of other stuff is being funding out of reserves that the programs have, but eventually those will run out.

For example, the buses are still running, because the Transit authority has some reserves. When those run out, I assume the buses will stop.

A lot of this stuff is going to snowball. Permits aren't being issued, so work can't get down, so people will get layed off.

The two racetracks/card rooms have closed because their regulators are gone. That's probably a thousand people out of work.

A lot of private jobs depend on the government doing its part.

If this gets resolved soon, it won't be that big of a deal, but I see no reason to expect that it will be resolved by anything but a new election.

12 guage Benelli. High quality.

Enjoy the shutdown. Has anyone even noticed?

Personally, I am really angry that so many legisltors are still collecting salaries. I like the fact that we require a balanced budget, no a constitutional amendment that legislators negotiate and get it done, or their tenure is terminated is in order! ;-)

I think they are being paid out of one of those reserve funds, so sooner or later they will stop getting paid.

Personally, I am really angry that so many legisltors are still collecting salaries. I like the fact that we require a balanced budget, no a constitutional amendment that legislators negotiate and get it done, or their tenure is terminated is in order! ;-)

Time to bring back Jesse Ventura? ;)

Jesse had his faults (boy did he ever), but we always had a budget.

I voted for the independent guy this time around (Horner). He pretty much had the budget dollars that Dayton has, but was planning to expand the sales tax to clothing to help pay for it instead of an increase in the top income tax bracket (which is Dayton's rather ill-concieved plan). Not that Horner represents a lot of the older Republicans who do not have the ideological purity to be accepted in the current party (our former governor Arne Carlson is another old Republican who has been cast out).

I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't have made any progress with the legislature either, since they have decided that raising taxes on anyone, at anytime is a sin punishable by stoning. He probably would have given in them before now though. I'm not sure that that would be a better outcome though.

Time to bring back Jesse Ventura? ;)

Jesse had his faults (boy did he ever), but we always had a budget.

I voted for the independent guy this time around (Horner). He pretty much had the budget dollars that Dayton has, but was planning to expand the sales tax to clothing to help pay for it instead of an increase in the top income tax bracket (which is Dayton's rather ill-concieved plan). Not that Horner represents a lot of the older Republicans who do not have the ideological purity to be accepted in the current party (our former governor Arne Carlson is another old Republican who has been cast out).

I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't have made any progress with the legislature either, since they have decided that raising taxes on anyone, at anytime is a sin punishable by stoning. He probably would have given in them before now though. I'm not sure that that would be a better outcome though.

We've lost many good Republicans here in Virginia for similiar reasons. BTW, I looked up Jesse on Wikipedia and noticed this statement:

Currently, Ventura and his wife live in Mexico, "There are no newspapers down where I live. Where I live, I'm an hour from pavement and an hour from electricity. I'm completely off-the-grid."

So, I guess he's not following the news back home.

Hamlet
Not familiar with Minnesota legislative process. Apparently there is no legislative override on budget from a gubernotial veto--like two thirds majority overrides veto by governor?
Is there no constitutional/legislative process for resolving conflicts between Executive and Legislative branches?
Thanks for clarifying
Nwsteve

The Democrats have enough votes in the legislature to prevent a veto override.

I don't believe that there is anything on the books to resolve this issue.

Hamlet
Not familiar with Minnesota legislative process. Apparently there is no legislative override on budget from a gubernotial veto--like two thirds majority overrides veto by governor?
Is there no constitutional/legislative process for resolving conflicts between Executive and Legislative branches?
Thanks for clarifying
Nwsteve

Hamlet--thanks for the additional info--press reports out here only seem to talk about the Repulican controlled legislature, not the fact that they control is marginal.
Nwsteve

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom