Independence Day

Red Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Have a great 4th today!

Consider taking a moment to share with family and friends that the colonies were in a precarious status until ~1780. Our ancestors were merely rebellious subjects until October 19, 1781. The outcome was never a foregone conclusion. The pursuit of independence from the most powerful nation on earth was viewed by most as either tragic or folly.

However, what emerged was simply the Greatest Idea Ever in the History of the World.

Today is truly a cause for celebration.

Best,
rb

I recently re-read David McCullough’s 1776 and enjoyed it again. Appropriate for Independence Day!

And a day to remember and thank those, who, over the years, went in harm's way, or died too young, to keep us free.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

Final line to the Declaration of Independence .

God bless America and the people who made us what we are .

Saw this wagon this morning on my bike ride. Looked like a fitting Independence Day decoration. Every Independence Day, I remember how the Continental Army persevered through the winter of 1777-1778 with little provisions in order to gain our independence. Incredible dedication.

Attachments

• happy independence day 2019.jpg
    happy independence day 2019.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
Enjoy the day!

Happy Fourth. I rode down with my son. We weren’t allowed to get anywhere near the Lincoln Memorial but I did see Baby Trump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently the way to celebrate freedom is to be an a$$hole and set off fireworks in a residential neighborhood all night long from sunset to sunrise. By far my least favorite time of the Summer and I don't have ptsd, pets or young kids. It's even worse for those people.

I haven't heard a single firecracker to this point. Will hear and see fireworks later tonight which is fine by me. Happy 4th!

I haven't heard a single firecracker to this point. Will hear and see fireworks later tonight which is fine by me. Happy 4th!

In my extended neighborhood we have had full aeriel fireworks well into the night for over a week and m-80s going off anytime of day and night. Those give flashbacks to vets and make pets and kids cower in fear. They are illegal but no one cares including the police. This will continue on at least thru late Sunday night.

Watched the Macy's fireworks show in NYC. This year's show was the best I've ever seen, anywhere. Great choreography, new colors, excellent incorporation of the Brooklyn Bridge. Must be a new team that designed the 2019 show, or the budget was larger, because it was amazing. Kudos to those who put the show together.

Personally I really like the events in DC today. While I did missed the parade, I thought the Presidents speech recognizing each branch of the military, the flyovers and fireworks displays at mall were all very well done and appropriate for the 4th.

Personally I really like the events in DC today. While I did missed the parade, I thought the Presidents speech recognizing each branch of the military, the flyovers and fireworks displays at mall were all very well done and appropriate for the 4th.

+(July)4!

The use of fireworks in July has been around as long as I can remember. But they are all pikers. The safe use of explosives used underground, construction projects during my w*rking days, was an educated, exhilarating task, in an attempt to shape rock. Confined by space, laws chemistry and physics, the immense power condensed into permissible water gels, was respected, and minimized wear and tear on mining equipment.

Apparently the way to celebrate freedom is to be an a$$hole and set off fireworks in a residential neighborhood all night long from sunset to sunrise.

One of the brighter things the County Council did here was to ban fireworks after 10:00 PM on July 4th, New Year's Day, and I think Christmas (:confused:).

Some people of course had to push the envelope, but all was quiet by 11:00 or 11:30.

One of the brighter things the County Council did here was to ban fireworks after 10:00 PM on July 4th, New Year's Day, and I think Christmas (:confused:).

Some people of course had to push the envelope, but all was quiet by 11:00 or 11:30.
Wish that happened here.

We had a wonderful city display on the beach here, from about 10-10:30. (We live at 46 north latitude, so it's not mostly dark until 10.) We had yahoos shooting off bottle rockets and firecrackers all over the place, which are illegal anyway. But before 10 and after 10:30, living in a touristy area, we had a lot of people going nuts here until around midnight. We live on the hill and we could see most of it from our deck, which was nice -- more privacy, no crowds and no traffic after the event.

Back
Top Bottom