Inflation watch : 2014 postal rate

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the price increase would reduce the amount of junk mail I get from Verizon and Optimum (cable TV provider) it would be well worth it. I get the same garbage from both places a few times per month and it is always the same stuff, sometimes in those big, wasteful envelopes. Do they really think that after the 100th one of those I am going to cave in and buy their overpriced, bundled services? The only thing worse than the junk mail are the junk phone calls I get from their reps, mainly the Optimum ones. The last time one of them called me I yelled at the guy for 10 minutes about how they force me to pay extra surcharges for the many basic channels I never watch.....and they want me to pay them MORE money? HA!

I have gone through a few paper shredders over the years shredding the junk mail (the papers which have my address or other personal info) I have gotten from Optimum, Verizon, Geico, AmEx, and CapOne over the years.

I thought about buying $400 worth of stamps because they are a good deal but would I live long enough to use them:confused::confused:?? Pays much better than a CD.

Last edited:
I think it should at least double to $.92 heck make it a buck! Then all that rubbish I get in mail each day offering me unbeatable CC deals, Insurance or asking me to attend a seminar, invest in or buy something I do not want or need may stop. Or, I will get the pleasure that they are wasting more money sending it to me. I would miss the ritual of shredding them all every day though. :)

USPS loses billions every year. How financed if not through taxes eventually?
Don't you have some problems up there in Canada you need to focus on? The problems we have with USPS won't cost you a single looney, right?

Edit: OK, I suppose if the USPS fails there could be thousands of desperate postal carriers swimming north across the 49th parallel...

Last edited:
I thought about buying $400 worth of stamps because they are a good deal but would I live long enough to use them:confused::confused:?? Pays much better than a CD.

Before I bought in bulk, I did an estimated calculation that wasn't too difficult. Say, if I use 10 stamps a year and live for 40 more years, then I need 400 stamps total.

So, at 49 cents/stamp, to get 400 stamps, it'll cost you $196 (that is, .49 x 400). :)

Last edited:
Don't you have some problems up there in Canada you need to focus on? The problems we have with USPS won't cost you a single looney, right?

Edit: OK, I suppose if the USPS fails there could be thousands of desperate postal carriers swimming north across the 49th parallel...

I am a part time resident of Arizona, so the USPS has some interest to me. I probably pay as much in US taxes as many on this site.
Yes, we do have problems in Canada but most Americans and certainly those on this site aren't interested in Canada. Too bad because you might get some interesting insights.

I am a part time resident of Arizona, so the USPS has some interest to me. I probably pay as much in US taxes as many on this site.
As was pointed out by Ziggy earlier in the thread, the USPS is not supported by taxpayer funds.

Yes, we do have problems in Canada but most Americans and certainly those on this site aren't interested in Canada. Too bad because you might get some interesting insights.
There are quite a few Canadian members, and also members from other countries, and for the most part, we all seem to avoid generalizations about each other and get along quite nicely. :)

One reason there are forces who would like to get rid of the USPS is to strip us of our rights and protections under postal laws - Things like fraud involving items sent through the post office, or privacy rights of our mail.

I have not noticed any significant movement to extend those same protections to private delivery services, internet transactions, etc.

Like any other country, the US has its own problems and we like to debate between ourselves for a solution. It's interesting how outsiders like to "suggest" solutions to us, while we usually do not reciprocate (at the individual citizen level :) ). I guess it's like living in a glass house.

Last edited:
Thanks folks. We think that 86 posts on the upcoming 3c rise in the cost of a letter in the USA is enough for now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom