Instant Pot's parent company files for bankruptcy

Honestly, for me the Instant Pot is simply a pressure cooker - electric one with lots of safety features and very configurable and automated, so it’s much preferable to stove top. The thing is that I never used a pressure cooker before because the stove top ones were too intimidating. So for me the Instant Pot opened up a whole new way of cooking that works very well for certain kinds of foods and dishes.
This is exactly the way I feel. I never had a pressure cooker. I now love the Instant Pot for certain "go to" recipes, mostly fall and winter. I did purchase it at the beginning of the pandemic in 2020. It stopped working a few months ago. I was not pleased with the short longevity, but I replaced it anyway.

Perhaps the reason you recognize how stupid it was is because you never went to business school.

I haven't been, either, but it would appear that what you learn there is that short-term gain for the stockholders, or better still, yourself, is the only reason a company exists. Just take all you can of whatever equity has been built up over years or decades of hard work, and walk away.

Unfortunately, you may be right! :)

Funny, but sad.

-ERD50

I never got an insta pot, ...

I had always assumed it was "Insta-Pot", a sort of 'clever' branding thing that rolls off the tongue. But it actually is "Instant Pot". I had to look it up.

-ERD50

It's a reorg and assets will be sold off. Production will continue, just by another company. No big deal.

Yes! I just learned upper case PYREX is likely borosilicate, but licenced lower case pyrex is likely tempered. Sheesh!
“ If the logo is in upper case lettering, PYREX, it's most likely made of borosilicate, and thus safer. The lowercase lettering is most likely made of soda-lime glass, so take extra care after any high-heat cooking.”

I
I recall reading about this a while back, could hardly believe they could be that stupid.

"Real" Pyrex (borosilicate, as you mention) is a superb product. Glass that can handle sudden changes in heat very well.

So they built up a brand name for many decades - "Pyrex" meant quality glass to generations, and they decide to use a substitute? Geez, if you are going to do that, sell it under a different brand name then, don't compromise the name "Pyrex".

I never went to business school, but I seem to be aware that "building a brand" is a very expensive process. Why throw that away? Stupid!

Now I need to look for the words "borosilicate" when I shop for glass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borosilicate_glass

-ERD50

so stupid question - I just bought an instant brand fryer two weeks ago w/1 year warranty. It's still in store return window: - are the odds for any future mfg warranty support non existent? Should I return and get a diff brand?

so stupid question - I just bought an instant brand fryer two weeks ago w/1 year warranty. It's still in store return window: - are the odds for any future mfg warranty support non existent? Should I return and get a diff brand?

Like Rodi said above, it's a reorg. They do not appear to be shutting down. I would keep it.

I just bought an Instant Pot myself recently. Love making pot roast and pulled pork in it! I have to branch out and try new recipes with it. :)

Like Rodi said above, it's a reorg. They do not appear to be shutting down. I would keep it.

I just bought an Instant Pot myself recently. Love making pot roast and pulled pork in it! I have to branch out and try new recipes with it. :)

Thanks! If it were an instant pot, (which seem to be pretty reliable) I'd keep it, like you say. I only hesitate because I bought an air fryer/toaster oven - and a fairly pricey one at that. A few more things can and do malfunction on those - at least from all the reviews I'm reading. (I'm still haunted by a nightmare experience with a pricey Kenmore fridge recommended by Consumer Reports that failed 2 weeks after the 1 year warranty - sears totally blew me off during their last few years of operation. So much wasted time and frustration.:(

Back
Top Bottom