Interesting choices for last career chapter

After the years of medical training and working, it has probably been a long time since you have worked close to a 40 hour week.
To quote Rosanne Rosannadanna when you are a practicing physician "It's always something." There are courses to take and other professional requirements, meeting to attend, calls from patients, etc.
I would be concerned going from a high powered time consuming job to nothing would be quite the jolt. Could you really do that? Are you able to fill the many hours you used to work with something that will satisfy your emotional needs?
Would going half time now allow you to develop a life outside of work?

It is great to be needed and to have the skills to save lives, educate patients and medical students and be a highly respected and very important person. I would consider these emotional aspects very carefully.

I know this from watching my engineer DH, he cut down from the middle of the night calls and going in extra days and having a tough time getting out of the workplace to a part time gig and in the beginning had quite a bit of difficulty. He had to re-invent his whole life. He was not interested in volunteering and had some hobbies he thought he always wanted to do that did not pan out. I was very glad for him he still had a job connection as he developed his life. He still is part time and may go on for a long time, he loves his work and gets tremendous satisfaction from it. His personal life continues to develop.

The National Physician Survey of 2004 (in Canada) clearly shows a correlation between shorter working hours and satisfaction. That said, this is a very personal decision for Rich and the content, context and meaning of those hours would be different in Choices 1 and 2.

Having gotten to "know" Rich over the past year I think he really wants Choice 1.

Last edited:
Having gotten to "know" Rich over the past year I think he really wants Choice 1.

:D

That's what REW said. Am I that obvious? ;)

We'll see what happens. Either way, this thread has given me a lot to think about.

I don't trust my workplace culture to guide me, since this dilemma would not be seen as a "decision" but more of an implied, unquestioned career progression (choice 1). The reactions of a broad-based and partially sane group like this helps keep me grounded.

That's what REW said. Am I that obvious? ;)

Uhhh, yes!

I can sense your enthusiasm about Choice #1, as if you see it as the cap on your career. If you can provide the right momentum for positive change for just 1-2 years, your job satisfaction would be great and you would go out on a high.

I'm willing to bet you'll go for it if the opportunity arises.

Back
Top Bottom