Interesting Luxury Vacation Rentals

Starsky

Full time employment: Posting here.
FWIW, for anyone who likes to rent interesting homes on vacation, I receive emails from this website that has some really cool luxury vacation rentals, particularly in the Palm Springs area. It's a fun site to peruse with some well-known celebrity homes.

Luxury Vacation Rentals | Beau Monde Villas

I'm going to try to stay at Huell Houser's place in March while our house is being remodeled.

Actually that place is more on the outskirts of 29 Palms than in or near Joshua Tree. Is up on a hill and looks out toward the Marine base. Gal grew up in 29 and she ran me by Huell's house after he died a few years back. Neat website - some pretty great places can be built with enough money and some taste!

Never heard of him? But when I was in my 20's and still working, I used to travel to California once a month and always stayed in the Bette Davis Mansion in Laguna Beach. It was owned at that time by a business associate, who ultimately lost it to the IRS, I believe. We used to climb down to the private beach at midnight to watch the "Grunions run".

We stayed at a house in St. John last year that we later saw on Caribbean House Hunters or whatever that show is called. It was valued at $1million, so we can say we stayed in a million dollar house. May not seem like much to many of you but it's nearly ten times the value of our house.

Actually that place is more on the outskirts of 29 Palms than in or near Joshua Tree. Is up on a hill and looks out toward the Marine base. Gal grew up in 29 and she ran me by Huell's house after he died a few years back. Neat website - some pretty great places can be built with enough money and some taste!

He's an fascinating person. I wish I could rent his UFO house. That place looks amazing. I met him when he was shooting a story on the Integratron. The nicest guy you'll ever meet - just like his interviews.

[NYEXPAT, Huell was a California institution on public TV. He had a show called California's Gold that ran for many years about the most interesting places and people in the state. Sadly, he passed a few years ago.]

Last edited:
I once was working in Southern California , and drove through Palm Springs. I couldn't get over seeing that big windmill farm just west of town.

The place was really pretty underwhelming to me. I know there are some incredible places to stay, but it just didn't look that nice to me.

West Palm Beach, Delray Beach and Boca Raton are much more impressive. As a college senior, I stayed in a palatial beachfront property with a roommate's family--with a full time cook and butler. Now, that was impressive.

OK, impressive? My go-to for that is the Bev Doolittle house snuggled up next to the Joshua Tree Park border. Came across it by accident while looking at another place close by back when we were house hunting. 3 million? that was an incredible bargain price for the place.
Interior pics start about 1/2 through the 30 pic series.

http://la.curbed.com/2014/1/31/1014...e-supervillain-lair-for-sale-for-first-time-1

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom