iOS calendar spam

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Anyone else getting this? It's the latest spam technique. It comes as a request for a calendar event, and when you decline, it confirms to the spammer the address is legit, so more invites arrive. The latest seems to be for RayBans. Like other spam, it's a PITA. What makes this worse is you just can't ignore or hang up, you have to actually go into the calendar to delete the spam. Apparently there is a photo-sharing version as well.

Here are two articles with details and work-arounds.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/09/icloud-photo-sharing-and-calendar-spam/
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/25/t...ng-ios-calendar-spam.html?ref=technology&_r=0

I've had it twice. Second time yesterday. I set my iCloud calendar to send invites as email instead of going to the calendar. Hopefully that will stop this. You would think people would have better things to do than to annoy total strangers without even the fun of watching them be annoyed :mad:

Thanks, MichaelB. DW just got the Ray-Ban calendar spam last week; it was the first we've seen this.

On the same track, with my aol mail, as soon as I delete some spam from the spam filter, often another will instantly go into the spam filter. These spammers must know all of the back and side doors into things.

Yep - got the rayban spam. Couldn't figure it out but finally saw the long email address list and figured out it was spam.

I don't do iOS. Just google. No spam there! Oh, but they know every tiny detail of my life. Nevermind.

Got the RayBan spam also couple of times within the last two weeks.! Thanks for the fix!

No, haven't got this spam. Maybe that is because while I do use a iPhone and an iPad, I don't use iCloud.

ETA: Which is not to say that I don't get a lot of spam! Just not this particular one.

Last edited:
Got it twice, did the move to new calendar and delete WITHOUT notification. Apple will have to plug this. We use icloud to sync our desktop, laptop & iphones so turning off icloud in not an option.
Remember to send a message to Apple that you are having a problem to get their focus on fixing this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom