Is 10-12% YTD loss in line with typical Moderate PF?

I think your losses are in line with a typical moderate port this year.

Thanks. I guess what's throwing me and probably many other investors is not so much the equity volatility but the bond/bond fund losses 'this time.' Every correction is unique in one respect or another but I have to say bond funds as ballast and insurance -under current circumstances have not worked as well as anticipated. Still I respect that with much damage already done (in both sectors) there's some likelihood that returns will ultimately be better in holding them for the long run and riding it out- to invoke the tired cliche.

If you learned anything from 2008, you should know that doing nothing is the best course of action.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bogleheads®_investing_start-up_kit

Yes that is precisely my reference because it's the only other similar event I've experienced in my investment 'lifetime.' Unfortunately I didn't just ' do nothing' that time and no doubt suffered the consequences of never fully restoring my equity allocation higher than 40% -- until the past five years or so. Missed a lot of capital appreciation, but feel I did reasonably well making up for it and my risk tolerance now is much higher. Thanks.

Only down <1% YTD but I've been in cash "most of the time" in my IRA speculation account. I got lucky on a few bigger swing trades (XOM and CVX) that helped but still down a little.

In my 401K investment account, I'm up almost 2% YTD but it's all in fixed income.

I too have a fair amount of cash. How do you "view" your cash's value since we've experienced significant inflation. Yes, I know that nominally, the number hasn't gone down, but the buying power certainly has (I'm just glad I don't spend all my cash on fuel!) It's reasonably easy to calculate what our MFs value (in cash) are but how much is that cash-equivalent worth?? My mind strays to these things every so often. YMMV

Oh, and to OPs original question, I think 10 to 12% loss within a moderate PF is probably about average. I haven't figured my exactly, but that sounds about right. I think it's gonna get worse before it gets better. SO far, my particular PF has been doing a bit better because my megacorp stock has been doing well during the unpleasantness around us.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that it's always come back eventually (let's all hope we have "eventually" time to wait.:LOL:)

I too have a fair amount of cash. How do you "view" your cash's value since we've experienced significant inflation. Yes, I know that nominally, the number hasn't gone down, but the buying power certainly has (I'm just glad I don't spend all my cash on fuel!) It's reasonably easy to calculate what our MFs value (in cash) are but how much is that cash-equivalent worth?? My mind strays to these things every so often. YMMV

The value of your cash doesn't change. Your expenses are increasing.

I'm down about the same as the OP 10-12% in 2008 I lost roughly 40% of value and it recovered and increased to highs I had never had before by 2018 when I FIRED now I have enough cash or cash equivalents set aside that I could go 5-6 years without touching my PF unless I decide to purchase a new house or something like that which would drain my cash. I know a lot of folks here don't agree with having a large cash stash but IMHO If you have a good stash it makes stomaching the huge swings we have been seeing easier to stomach knowing you can sit back for a few years and wait for things to recover

I'm down about the same as the OP 10-12% in 2008 I lost roughly 40% of value and it recovered and increased to highs I had never had before by 2018 when I FIRED now I have enough cash or cash equivalents set aside that I could go 5-6 years without touching my PF unless I decide to purchase a new house or something like that which would drain my cash. I know a lot of folks here don't agree with having a large cash stash but IMHO If you have a good stash it makes stomaching the huge swings we have been seeing easier to stomach knowing you can sit back for a few years and wait for things to recover

I like your plan a lot and yes it isn't a plan that many like.

I don't think there's that much argument against that much cash, for anyone trying to be somewhat conservative. Six years of cash/equiv, at a 3.3% WD rate, is ~less than 20% cash. Now, many would say most of that should be in bonds for a higher long term return, but it's not really so far off from the more mainstream view, IMO.

-ERD50

The value of your cash doesn't change. Your expenses are increasing.

I guess it's all in the way you look at it. I "discount" the value of my 401(k) for the average taxes I'll owe when I do my planning. I was just wondering how to think of cash in terms of what it will buy now vs when I looked at it, say, a year ago. Perhaps it doesn't matter. Just my mind racing in light of troubling financial issues we're currently facing. YMMV

I haven't calculated my RoR yet, but my NW is down by about 10%...

My rough calculation YTD as of 5/31/22: Down 8.7% overall (net worth) on an approximately 51% equity, 42%, 7% commodity/PM allocation. It was worse a couple weeks ago.

I am still w*rking but have adjusted for 403B Roth contributions YTD. I don't have a budget, but spend everything PLUS in terms of take home pay. (That is, some smallish drawdown.) So the above are "close enough" in terms of where things stand.

Almost all of my fixed is in cash, cash equivalents, i-Bonds, TIPS/TIPS funds. Of the fixed, only the TIPs / TIPS Fund have been impacted in terms of valuation (down about 5.9% YTD).

My NW is down 8.8% YTD, almost all equities (cash ~10% and slowly decreasing as I spend. I expect it will stabilize at 4-5% over the long term but I'm still new at this being FIREd thing so who knows). My earnings from my fun job (bike tours) was .005% of my starting NW and I've spent .85% so investment performance would be approx -7.7% YTD adjusting for those. (easier than pulling everything and weighting returns)

Not too upsetting considering I've funded 5 months of expenses from it during that time as well. Actually, seeing that I've only spent .85% makes me feel a little bit better given all the gloom and doom -I am being a bit stingier than I planned as retiring into this market is a bit scary... but SO much better than working.

According to Fido, my 401k (60/40) as of 5/31/2022 has a -12.36% Rate of Return. I'm still contributing, and no withdrawals.

Back
Top Bottom