Is file and suspend still available?

dtbach

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am already at FRA for SS. I was born before Jan 2 1954.
My wife is turning 62 this October.
Am I eligible to file restricted and claim half of my DW SS?

I'm confused on this.

They killed file & suspend a few years ago. I do not know if it was grandfathered for certain people or not.

I'd ask the folks at SS instead of us.

Since you were born before Jan 1954 if your wife files you can file and suspend and collect half of her age 62 benefits.

Since you were born before Jan 1954 if your wife files you can file and suspend and collect half of her age 62 benefits.

You mean he can file and restrict. File and suspend is gone. His post is confusing because the title says "File and suspend" which is gone but the body of the post says "File and restrict" which he can do since he was born before 01/02/54 and if she files for her own benefits.

Last edited:
I think the OP can do as he describes.

The change does not apply to people born before Jan. 2, 1954; they can still file what is called a “restricted application” for just spousal benefits, but only if they are full retirement age or older.

So it seems it is still available to me because I was born in 1953? I am sorry about the title I guess. It is now called "restricted"? Seems to do the same thing though.
Anyway, can I file restricted at the same time that she files for her SS?

Would this be something I should do at the SS office rather than online?

So it seems it is still available to me because I was born in 1953? I am sorry about the title I guess. It is now called "restricted"? Seems to do the same thing though.

Would this be something I should do at the SS office rather than online?

We just went to our local SS office (after making an appointment) and did this very thing last Friday. DH was born before 1/2/54 and I just filed for mine at 62.

She has to have filed for you to do this though.

I was told this has to be done at an office (strongly recommend making an appointment), although others here say they didn't have to make an in person visit.

Good luck. It was pretty painless.

dtbach, "File and suspend" and "Restricted" are two different SS strategies. Of course, F&S is no longer available. Restricted is what you are talking about. I believe that your wife would have to file early in order for you to collect on her earnings until you file on your earned benefits.

dtbach, "File and suspend" and "Restricted" are two different SS strategies. Of course, F&S is no longer available. Restricted is what you are talking about. I believe that your wife would have to file early in order for you to collect on her earnings until you file on your earned benefits.[/QUOT

Thanks for the correction. DW will be 62 in Oct and she will file in July for benefits to start in Oct. Do I have to wait until she starts receiving her benefits or can I apply at the same time for my restricted SS?

I'm thinking that we will go to the local office and work on this together.

I am not sure. I would think that the SS needs to complete the process your wife's claim before you can apply for her benefits. This is just my thought. This might be a case where you would want to go to the SS office and talk to a live person face to face. Good luck.

When I called in January to get the local office appointment for DH's restricted benefit, they asked me if I had filed, and I had, but won't get my first payment until later this month. So, it seemed to me that he was confirming I had filed so they could proceed with setting up the office appointment. I believe I've read that the spouse has to already have filed, which I did online. Or, she could file via phone.

It took almost 3 months to get the office appointment, by the way.

dtbach, "File and suspend" and "Restricted" are two different SS strategies. Of course, F&S is no longer available. Restricted is what you are talking about. I believe that your wife would have to file early in order for you to collect on her earnings until you file on your earned benefits.[/QUOT

Thanks for the correction. DW will be 62 in Oct and she will file in July for benefits to start in Oct. Do I have to wait until she starts receiving her benefits or can I apply at the same time for my restricted SS?

I'm thinking that we will go to the local office and work on this together.
And by the way, she won't get her first deposit until December. Birthday in October = first full month of eligibility is November = first check in December.

And by the way, she won't get her first deposit until December. Birthday in October = first full month of eligibility is November = first check in December.

I guess I'm concerned that this deal goes away at end of 2019, so it appears we might be cutting it short. Or is it always available for those born before 1954?

It's not the same thing.

File and Suspend was a strategy where the earner could file, then immediately suspend their benefits. They would receive no benefits at that point, but they would continue to accrue delayed retirement credits until the point in the future (typically 70) when they restarted their benefits.

And because they filed, their spouse could start collecting spousal benefits.

That strategy is no longer allowed. (Sadly, because I would have used that strategy).

Yes you can. But of course that likely means that your spouse would be collecting less than her full individual or spousal benefit for the rest of her life.

To see if you should use this strategy, do some exploring with https://opensocialsecurity.com/

It's not the same thing.

File and Suspend was a strategy where the earner could file, then immediately suspend their benefits. They would receive no benefits at that point, but they would continue to accrue delayed retirement credits until the point in the future (typically 70) when they restarted their benefits.

And because they filed, their spouse could start collecting spousal benefits.

That strategy is no longer allowed. (Sadly, because I would have used that strategy).

Yes you can. But of course that likely means that your spouse would be collecting less than her full individual or spousal benefit for the rest of her life.

To see if you should use this strategy, do some exploring with https://opensocialsecurity.com/

My DW was always planning on collecting early, and I was going to wait until 70 for the larger benefit for both me and if I die, for my DW. So if I read this right, she collects her $$ and I will collect 1/2 of her amount. But I can then later at 70, drop that and apply for my own SS?

My DW was always planning on collecting early, and I was going to wait until 70 for the larger benefit for both me and if I die, for my DW. So if I read this right, she collects her $$ and I will collect 1/2 of her amount. But I can then later at 70, drop that and apply for my own SS?

Yes, you can.

I still urge you to first find out if this is an optimal strategy or not.

I went to open social security and this is the result I got:

Recommended Strategy

The strategy that maximizes the total dollars you can be expected to spend over your lifetimes is as follows:

• Your spouse files for his/her retirement benefit to begin 11/2019, at age 62 and 1 months.
  • You file for your spousal benefit to begin 11/2019, at age 66 and 9 months.
  • You file for your retirement benefit to begin 2/2023, at age 70 and 0 months.
  • Your spouse files for his/her spousal benefit to begin 2/2023, at age 65 and 4 months.
The first 3 steps look correct but is the last step right? I would think the DW is stuck with her own SS amount from 62? But this says she can drop her SS and apply for a spousal benefit on my higher amount.

I went to open social security and this is the result I got:

Recommended Strategy

The strategy that maximizes the total dollars you can be expected to spend over your lifetimes is as follows:

• Your spouse files for his/her retirement benefit to begin 11/2019, at age 62 and 1 months.
  • You file for your spousal benefit to begin 11/2019, at age 66 and 9 months.
  • You file for your retirement benefit to begin 2/2023, at age 70 and 0 months.
  • Your spouse files for his/her spousal benefit to begin 2/2023, at age 65 and 4 months.
The first 3 steps look correct but is the last step right? I would think the DW is stuck with her own SS amount from 62? But this says she can drop her SS and apply for a spousal benefit on my higher amount.

She can do what the tool is suggesting in the last step.

Make sure you also play around with the Advanced Options, select "Assumed age at death" for a Mortality Table, and try different ages. You'll want to know what happens in the case of both short and very long lifespans before you make your decisions.

She can do what the tool is suggesting in the last step.

Make sure you also play around with the Advanced Options, select "Assumed age at death" for a Mortality Table, and try different ages. You'll want to know what happens in the case of both short and very long lifespans before you make your decisions.

Thank a lot! The recommended strategy of the tool seems to be the best scenario. I have my answer.

Back
Top Bottom